Non-breeding shrimp?

Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

Looking at getting my teeny tank set up over next couple of weeks. I’m going to go for lots of plants a few nerite type snails and maybe a shrimp or 3.

We have lots of red cherries in all the other tanks so don’t want to have those again. I also don’t want to be overrun (like we are with the cherries).

My question is: Other than Amano’s are there any other shrimp that don’t or are highly unlikely to breed in freshwater? I’d love an armoured/bamboo but the tank is only 12 litres so too small for them. Any thoughts?

Happy to go with Amano if there isn’t another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank :)
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

Oh Im following this too for The Kremlin.

Not wishing to hijack your thread but could we still use this tank as quarantine etc once we have shrimp in ? ;)
Last edited by Annie on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikini Bottom - 168l Bronze, Peppered & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry & Green Tiger Barb, Amanos The Kremlin - 58l  Bronze Corys
QT - 15l
Bronze Cory Fry
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5086 times
Been liked: 3435 times

It's a bit small for the armoured, but the Asian fan feeders (wood/bamboo/rock/mountain/etc....) would be ok if there's a good flow.
Amanos are more personality driven though, even being less colourful. The fan feeders tend to be a bit staid. :)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

That’s good news!! I would probably still get 1 Amano as they are great. Amano dude (yes that’s his name) has been with us for about 5 years now and has just moved into the 200l RallyMatt now has. So he can have a friend who lives next door!!

I’m glad it would be ok for one of the Asian ones, always wanted one of those :)

Hijack away Annie :) I don’t mind at all.

I’d say the Kremlin would be fine as a QT with shrimp but not if you needed to use it as a hospital tank at any stage. Shrimp are very sensitive to medications and would be unlikely to survive if you had to use some.

Best thing for a QT and hospital tank is one of those plastic storage boxes you can get. Have a small filter and heater packed away with it. Then when you get new fish or have to treat one you can unpack it, add a bit of media from your normal filter and away you go. Pack it away when done, get rid of the media and put a new section in the normal filter to replace what you took.

Easy to disinfect after use, packed away when you don’t need it and frees up the Kremlin for other stock :D

Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Oh thank you, that’s good info to know !

I feel another tank coming on hahaha.  :P maybe one of those dinky Betta tanks..use that as you suggest.
Bikini Bottom - 168l Bronze, Peppered & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry & Green Tiger Barb, Amanos The Kremlin - 58l  Bronze Corys
QT - 15l
Bronze Cory Fry
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

[quote="Annie" pid='21349' dateline='1552308566']
Oh thank you, that’s good info to know !

I feel another tank coming on hahaha.  :P maybe one of those dinky Betta tanks..use that as you suggest.
[/quote]

It would be cheaper to get one of these
https://www.staples.co.uk/35-litre-euro ... 96801.html

Use that as hospital/QT. Cheap heater and filter in that and you have instant hospital :)

Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Ah right yes, they sell those in our pound stretcher type shops ;)
QT - 15l
Bronze Cory Fry