Stocking suggestions for 54L

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Zebra Fish
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Just upgraded my tank. Have a new 54l tank and my mind is boggling with the possibilities. My filter is set up from my long-established last tank and levels are stable 1 month in from moving day. Currently has the last of my panda cory shoal and a guppy (will be swapped back to the shop). Ph is 7.5, temp can be changed to anything. Going to have lots of live plants once my substrate arrives. But there'll be loads of other unusual fish you could have but I just don't know of many. Some people are going to say get a betta in there but I want to have a busy tank so they'd need to be suitable. Sooooo What would you put in?

So far my bain is thinking:
golden white cloud minnows (may look at breeding for fun?)
guppies (may look at breeding for fun?)
neon or cardinal
peppered corys (hopefully more hardy than pandas)
betta (been there didn't have luck)
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

Hello and welcome to the site, it’s so exciting when it comes to selecting fish stocks. I have a 58l and currently at 85% stock with 15 Bronze Corys. They are quite active and move about a bit from the lower levels.
Do you know what your stocking level is as yet ?
Maybe one mid water species as it’s always good to have a reasonable size shoal.
Amano shrimp are always a good addition too :)
Good luck and keep us posted,
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 236 times

Welcome Home
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5450 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Hello and welcome:)
What are the dimensions and what is your water hardness (not ph)? This can normally be looked up on your water supplier website :)
This will help determine what you can stock :)
Zebra Fish

60cm x 30cm x 30cm

This is what my water company says.

Zebra Fish

Annie wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 20:29 pm Hello and welcome to the site, it’s so exciting when it comes to selecting fish stocks. I have a 58l and currently at 85% stock with 15 Bronze Corys. They are quite active and move about a bit from the lower levels.
Do you know what your stocking level is as yet ?
Maybe one mid water species as it’s always good to have a reasonable size shoal.
Amano shrimp are always a good addition too :)
Good luck and keep us posted,
Tried my hand with cherry shrimp before, they just don't seem to last great in my tank. Not sure why even my LFS gave me some saying I should have an awesome breeding tank for them as my last tank was heavily planted, two moss balls, nothing to pick them off just panda corys and still they'd die off without me putting ferts or anything in the tank. Seemed to be a moulting issue but no one else in my area on the same water had difficulty but they never bred either. Was gutted. Going to leave the shrimp alone I think. I get too disheartened by it not working out well.
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

Cherry shrimp are different to Amano shrimp, Amanos do better.
Amano won’t breed as they need brackish water, but yeah understand if you’ve had a tough time with them.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4255 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Zebra Fish wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 20:48 pm 60cm x 30cm x 30cm

This is what my water company says.

Your water values are better than mine in many ways. I cannot see any major reason why you can't keep hardy species of fish or Neocaridina Shrimp for that matter.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Zebra Fish

Just think I'm still thinking in the box of the same fish I dreamed of when I had my 40l (I know it's only "20L") but for me it seems like a bigger tank with more wiggle room. Gourami's and bettas aren't majorly calling to me any more. I'm hoping for busier. Potential breeding opportunities but easy to leave alone if I'm bogged down with work.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5066 times
Been liked: 3427 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
Your original stock sounds pretty good for hard water, other than the tetras and corys (probably why your pandas haven't done well). :)
Have a look at dwarf anchor catfish as an alternative bottom fish.
Bettas don't do well in small community tanks as a rule.