More Guppy questions :)

Viviparous or Live bearing fish - Mollies, Platties, Guppies
Speedfox
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 7 times

Hi all,

I have a few questions if any of you experts could help me out ;]

1. What does a Guppy look like if its dying from old age? (no diseases, bacteria or parasites etc)

2. Is this home made food OK for Guppies?
All of these put into a blender and frozen (peas with shells removed, carrot, kale, garlic, tomato no skin or seeds, broccoli, boiled egg yolk, raw salmon no skin, sweet corn skin removed, cucumber skin removed, pure agar agar) its mostly vegetables with a small amount of salmon (Lego sized cube) and 1 egg yolk in a full blender of vegetables.

3. Any idea what is wrong with my Guppy in this video?
https://youtu.be/GXCM6br7q5k

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, PH 8.2, 73 degrees temperature, GH/KH are OK, Orange tail Guppy age 10 months, tank size 72 liters and around 25 all female guppies.
Shes been like this for around 4 days. She spits out all food. I've tried frozen Tubifex, Brine shrimp, Daphnia, home made food and flake. She hides sometimes, faster breathing and has clamped fins. She is starting to look a bit "droopy" now.
The only thing I can maybe see is at 0:36 - 0:38 but I could be imagining it - I think inside her body above her gills is maybe not normal color? I think that's where Kidneys are? It's on both sides?

Any medicines recommended or just leave her?

Thank you all :)
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3889 times

Yes, you can use homemade food, but just be careful how much you give them. Did you know that Guppies can suffer from vitamin C deficiency, so giving them blanched vegetables isn't such a bad thing. Used to feed mine anything from blanched lettuce, kale, cucumber or even cabbage leaves although that can make the tank a little smelly.

Has that female recently given birth? To me that doesn't look an awful lot wrong with her.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5033 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Don't use salmon. Oily fish is no good for most freshwater fish.
White fish is ok.
I just feed my granules and mixed frozen, a lot less hassle. ;)

How old is she? Has she just dropped a load of fry?
The bending makes me think she could be quite old, or had trouble when dropping the fry.
Martinspuddle

plankton wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:35 am How old is she? Has she just dropped a load of fry?
The bending makes me think she could be quite old, or had trouble when dropping the fry.
Glad you pointed that out, I didn't see that, pictures not easy to see using my mobile phone last night.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speedfox

She is 10 months old and had fry 7 months ago. Still not eating and looking more droopy. I am certain she is not right because she acts very different to normal she is usually like an alpha female and very active.

Maybe she is getting old considering I've had temperature too high as per my other thread? Also she was the first fry I have ever had maybe next generations will live longer?
Martinspuddle

Might be a bacterial infection, you just got Guppies in your aquarium?
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

I've found 'blonde guppies' to be more delicate than the grey/wild body coloured ones and had them die sooner. Only ever had one batch of the blondes, so speaking here from limited experience.
As above - I don't see much wrong with her other than she may be old before her time.
Speedfox

Martinspuddle wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 17:15 pm Might be a bacterial infection, you just got Guppies in your aquarium?
Yes only female Guppies in the tank that she is in and plants.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5033 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Probably the heat has sped the metabolism up, so at 10 months she's probably nearer to 18 months internally than she should be......
I'm not sure how much it affects them as I haven't kept mine above 22C (except in the hotter summers, but that is only weeks rather than 10 months).
Martinspuddle

Martinspuddle wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 17:15 pm Might be a bacterial infection, you just got Guppies in your aquarium?
The reason I asked was because if you only have Guppies a little aquarium salt will help. Contrary to popular belief, livebearers such as Guppies and livebearers do not need salt to thrive in an aquarium but it can be useful for keeping infections at bay. I use to find even females that had a heavy birth, a small dose of salt would help them recover quicker and in turn avoid any later infections.