Severums?

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5072 times
Been liked: 3429 times

How much would the pipeline cost? ;)
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

Pipeline?

Bottles lol
SomersetMatt
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 46 times

Why not go with RO? Most aquatic stores sell it and its not expensive. Just buy a couple large Jerry cans and fill them up every couple weeks, then mix with your tap water to the desired hardness.
Much easier and healthier than adding a load of chemicals to your water in my opinion.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

RO isn’t the only safe source of soft water. If you’re willing to invest in PolyFilter and a storage container you can very safely use rain water.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4260 times
Been liked: 3920 times

mikeyw64 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 13:58 pm hmmm wonder If I could start selling my soft water (GH3 , KH2, PH7) and shipping it around the country ;o)
Is a business proposition? Because if you are, I'll have a direct pipeline straight to my house. Thank you. :]
Last edited by Martinspuddle on Thu Feb 13, 2020 21:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Martinspuddle

black ghost wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 19:47 pm RO isn’t the only safe source of soft water. If you’re willing to invest in PolyFilter and a storage container you can very safely use rain water.
This is as long you've not got any chemical or industrial works in your region that are causing pollution.

For example, until 4 years ago Sheerness Steelworks was only a mile down the road (Thankfully, the steelworks is now long since gone) The rain would have soot in the water from the slag heaps and where they had been smelting.

If you took a TDS reading from a bucket of this water it would be off the scale. So, it's not always safe to use rainwater. ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
black ghost
Posting Legend

Martinspuddle wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 21:16 pm
black ghost wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 19:47 pm RO isn’t the only safe source of soft water. If you’re willing to invest in PolyFilter and a storage container you can very safely use rain water.
This is as long you've not got any chemical or industrial works in your region that are causing pollution.

For example, until 4 years ago Sheerness Steelworks was only a mile down the road (Thankfully, the steelworks is now long since gone) The rain would have soot in the water from the slag heaps and where they had been smelting.

If you took a TDS reading from a bucket of this water it would be off the scale. So, it's not always safe to use rainwater. ;)
That’s why I mentioned PolyFilter. It would have removed the soot. It’s pretty much always safe to use rainwater if it’s filtered through PolyFilter first.
Martinspuddle

black ghost wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 21:21 pm That’s why I mentioned PolyFilter. It would have removed the soot. It’s pretty much always safe to use rainwater if it’s filtered through PolyFilter first.
Unfortunately as I discovered a polyfilter will not remove dissolved heavy metals and chemicals like sulphur dioxide or hydrocarbons of which can be lethal to aquatic life. The only way you will remove these compounds is to use a micron filter and at that rate of working, you might as well use an RO unit which rather defeats the object of the exercise.

Personally, I would always suggest using a polyfilter with rainwater, just to make sure it is as clean as you can get it. If you live in an area, which is clear of any chemical or industrial atmospheric pollution then I would suggest that it is perfectly safe to use.
black ghost
Posting Legend

I guess if you live in an area which is prone to contaminated rain, don’t use it, but for most of the country it’s pretty safe, as long as it’s not too acidic... when filtered...
PolyFilter does remove heavy metals...
Martinspuddle

black ghost wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 22:12 pm PolyFilter does remove heavy metals...
Yes, it does remove heavy metals but only down to 30 parts per billion. A micron filter will remove heavy metal down to one part per billion.