Aqua One wood for aquarium - water v murky?

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

Hey all

:swim2:

So last weekend I bought a gorgeous piece of wood from MHA. It's branded as Aqua One. The lad in the shop said it was an azalea root? But have seen similar online described as spiderwood.

I have been gradually topping tank up with water. No filters on etc at the moment. About half full.

The water has become extremely cloudy and milky overnight and today, which I assume is related to the wood leaching something? See pic. Looks murkier in person.

I wanted to go ahead and set up this weekend as the tank is level, but this piece of wood is central to my plans for the decor. It's tricky to get in and out of tank due to the size and the bracing at the top, so I don't really want fish in there while I'm doing that.

Should I take it out and soak it separately until the water is clear? (I will have to buy something large enough to fit it). This will delay the set up for however long it takes.

If I leave it in as it is, other than looking unsightly, would it harm the fish if I go ahead with setting up? Not that I'd be able to see them!

Again the Internet O' Horrors has been supremely unhelpful as always with various dire and dread warnings and stories... :tongue:

'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Mine didn't, but I did have the filters running and I was using Easylife filter fluid medium which soon cleared any cloudiness out of the water.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

Hey :) well I've been looking online and not sure now whether it's azalea root or redmoor. Don't know if that makes any difference? It looks strikingly similar to this:

https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/redmoo ... stpccr6cb4

Perhaps I will shove more water in and turn on the filter. That will also show if the hoses are on right!

What's the filter fluid medium you mentioned - what does it do?

Thx :)
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
Martinspuddle

If it's branded by Aqua One then it is Azalea.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

As on the other thread, I'd just set the tank up and start the cycle.
The tannins from the wood are actually beneficial as they act as a mild antiseptic.
Lots of fish come from "blackwater" environments, so it doesn't do any harm.
Martinspuddle

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about colour of the water, mine cleared in no time and I have three types of wood in my aquarium giving a slight tanned look but only when look though the end of the tank or when it's in a bucket during a waterchange...

... and as Plankton says, get on your bike! :grin:
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 836 times

WinterRose73 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 23:58 pm Hey all

:swim2:

So last weekend I bought a gorgeous piece of wood from MHA. It's branded as Aqua One. The lad in the shop said it was an azalea root? But have seen similar online described as spiderwood.

I have been gradually topping tank up with water. No filters on etc at the moment. About half full.

The water has become extremely cloudy and milky overnight and today, which I assume is related to the wood leaching something? See pic. Looks murkier in person.

I wanted to go ahead and set up this weekend as the tank is level, but this piece of wood is central to my plans for the decor. It's tricky to get in and out of tank due to the size and the bracing at the top, so I don't really want fish in there while I'm doing that.

Should I take it out and soak it separately until the water is clear? (I will have to buy something large enough to fit it). This will delay the set up for however long it takes.

If I leave it in as it is, other than looking unsightly, would it harm the fish if I go ahead with setting up? Not that I'd be able to see them!

Again the Internet O' Horrors has been supremely unhelpful as always with various dire and dread warnings and stories... :tongue:

I'd probably take it out and send it me. I'll test in out in my tank for 3/4 years and let you know if it's safe... ;)
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

Lol @Si4geckos.

Thanks all. Will see if the filter clears it once on.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

...and stay off the internet!

Just ask your questions here and do not -ever- just google something without proper supervision by an experienced aquarist :D
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

I'm beginning to think I should be supervised at all times!!! 🤣 🤣