Cleaning seachem flourite

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

Morning.

I got my new tank in place last night so today I want to get my first bag of flourite dark in.

Am I ok to wash it in tap water then put a bucket of de chlorinated water through at the end?

Also should i put my rocks in a bucket for a while before adding then to the tank?

Cheers.

Andy
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

Isn't flourite plant substrate that shouldn't need rinsing?
Andys temperate tank

plankton wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:23 am Isn't flourite plant substrate that shouldn't need rinsing?
No mate. It says on the bag it will become dusty in transit so needs a rinse.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4244 times
Been liked: 3908 times

plankton wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:23 am Isn't flourite plant substrate that shouldn't need rinsing?
I thought the same, but...

From their website; Set-up
Although it is pre-washed, because Flourite® Dark is a natural product, it may become dusty in transit and require rinsing before use to remove any residual dust.
When adding water to aquarium, fill slowly to avoid disturbing Flourite® Dark substrate bed. Place a bowl in the aquarium and add water directly to the bowl, allowing water to overflow softly on to the gravel bed. Initial cloudiness is normal. To remove cloudiness, use mechanical filtration (such as filter floss). Use Clarity™ to accelerate clearing.
Andys temperate tank wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:17 am Am I ok to wash it in tap water then put a bucket of de chlorinated water through at the end?
Tap water should be fine, remember you'll be adding dechlorinator later when you fill the aquarium.
Andys temperate tank wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:17 am Also should i put my rocks in a bucket for a while before adding then to the tank?
I would give the rocks a bit of a scrub under the tap before using them, usually you will find they some dust or dirt. ;)
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Smithers-jones
Been liked: 8 times

Seachem flourite is extremely "dusty". I have my plants in diy pots and I use a mixture of seachem flourite, fluval stratum and osmocote, all topped off with gravel. To prepare the flourite I just half fill a plastic measuring jug and pour water in from the tap. The water is black at first but soon runs clear.
Andys temperate tank

Martinspuddle wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:12 am
I thought the same, but...

From their website; Set-up
Although it is pre-washed, because Flourite® Dark is a natural product, it may become dusty in transit and require rinsing before use to remove any residual dust.
When adding water to aquarium, fill slowly to avoid disturbing Flourite® Dark substrate bed. Place a bowl in the aquarium and add water directly to the bowl, allowing water to overflow softly on to the gravel bed. Initial cloudiness is normal. To remove cloudiness, use mechanical filtration (such as filter floss). Use Clarity™ to accelerate clearing.
Andys temperate tank wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:17 am Am I ok to wash it in tap water then put a bucket of de chlorinated water through at the end?
Tap water should be fine, remember you'll be adding dechlorinator later when you fill the aquarium.
Andys temperate tank wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:17 am Also should i put my rocks in a bucket for a while before adding then to the tank?
I would give the rocks a bit of a scrub under the tap before using them, usually you will find they some dust or dirt. ;)
Thank you Martin. Got a bathroom floor to fit today then I'll be getting on with it.
Danmassey
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 73 times

Yeah I basically poured by fluorite into a bucket, set it down under the bathtub tap and let it run for 15 mins or so, occasionally giving a stir. Huge amount of dust came off