The Sunnyside 300 :: Tank Log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Pleco Fan
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 209 times

Out of all the cory's why Sterbal? I have two and they are nice but tbh in my experience they are not the most active, having said that maybe in a large group there will be more activity.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

mikeyw64 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:26 am here's a question.

My proposed Stocking is

30 Rummy Nose Tetra
10 Sterbai
6 young Angelfish (around 3-4 cm)
Move the 3 Adult Platys

Still thinking about the Agassiz (1 male & maybe 2/3 females)

How many of these could I add in the first load?
If it was me I would start with Platies, to start building the bio load. Spilt the Corydoras and Tetras into batches and add them a few groups at a time until you have the required numbers you want, less stress on the biological filter this way.

I'd leave the Angelfish and Apistogramma's til last until the set-up is at lease 3 months old and has matured. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Martinspuddle

Pleco Fan wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:23 am Out of all the cory's why Sterbal? I have two and they are nice but tbh in my experience they are not the most active, having said that maybe in a large group there will be more activity.
All I don't know, thought these where great with Altum Angelfishes.

Taken at The Green Machine. Correction, it wasn't 2006 but 2008 at the UKAPS - ADA show.
Last edited by Martinspuddle on Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Been liked: 1275 times

Pleco Fan wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:23 am Out of all the cory's why Sterbal? I have two and they are nice but tbh in my experience they are not the most active, having said that maybe in a large group there will be more activity.
Tanks going to be run at around 27 c which is above the range for Panda Corys (which I already have and like)

Martinspuddle wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:28 am
If it was me I would start with Platies, to start building the bio load. Spilt the Corydoras and Tetras into batches and add them a few groups at a time until you have the required numbers you want, less stress on the biological filter this way.

I'd leave the Angelfish and Apistogramma's til last until the set-up is at lease 3 months old and has matured. :]
Ahhh but don't forget I've been doing a fishless cycle and its converting 7ml Dr Tims/2PPM ammonia (which is quite a reasonable bioload I believe) to nitrate in probably less than 12 hours (haven't timed exactly , might do some further tests on that after 2 more days of double zeroes and a big water change)
Martinspuddle

mikeyw64 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:41 am Ahhh but don't forget I've been doing a fishless cycle and its converting 7ml Dr Tims/2PPM ammonia (which is quite a reasonable bioload I believe) to nitrate in probably less than 12 hours (haven't timed exactly , might do some further tests on that after 2 more days of double zeroes)
Fishless cycle I always found it's better to build the bioload slowly. Less troubles this way. ;)
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

maybe I'm going mad but surely the whole point of a fishless cycle using ammonia is that you are replicating the bioload of a large group 0f fish without putting any fish through any form of stress?

If the tank can convert 2PPM of ammonia in well under 12 hours then surely it can take more fish on an initial load than building up the fish?
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

From the guides on this forum (https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/guides)

This method was set up initially to allow for fully stocking Rift Lake cichlid tanks so you could, theoretically, add the total of fish for the tank, as it is cycled, but it may be more practical (and easier on the bank balance) to add just a few at a time. Remember that this will allow some of the colony to die back, so you then stock your aquarium slowly to allow the bacteria to build up again and to reduce the chances of a mini cycle. Leaving a gap of three weeks between new additions should allow this to happen.

Not that I want to add all of them at once to avoid hitting the bank balance lol

I was thinking maybe the rummys up first , then move the Sterbais & Platys in about a week later followe by the Angels & aggassiz a week after that (if all the reading are still good each time)

With fireside I had 4 Platys in there for the first 55 days then added 10 Neons week one after I was happy it was fully cycled, 12 Embers a week later and then 6 Pandas a week after that
Martinspuddle

mikeyw64 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:50 am maybe I'm going mad but surely the whole point of a fishless cycle using ammonia is that you are replicating the bioload of a large group 0f fish without putting any fish through any form of stress?

If the tank can convert 2PPM of ammonia in well under 12 hours then surely it can take more fish on an initial load than building up the fish?
Sorry I forgot your using ammonia (Cheating :rolleyes:) to cycle your new tank.
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

some of the "old" hands may consider it cheating but as a "n00b" to the hobby and having done it both ways I know which way I would use the next one , and it doesn't involve fish ;o)
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

I'm an old hand and don't consider it cheating at all, I think of it as being responsible to the fish..... ;) :)
You could put them all in as it's fully cycled, but sometimes it's best to leave something.
In this case, the angels, as you will be removing 4 probably when two pair up, otherwise there'll be outright war in the tank.
I'm still wary of keeping the apistos with angels by the way. ;)