White worms...

Food, feeding and diet.
CactusMel
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 19 times

Hi All,
Sorry if you have seen this post before, under "food for young discus". But I thought that all fish will eat and enjoy white worms, so a general food post!

I was thinking that White worms would be good food for my young Discus! Not having tried them for the last 30 years or so. Back in those days, I think we feed them on bread (White) dipped in milk, but thinks seem to have changed now. One chap on youtube has it seems a culture going for 10 years on Brown bread spread with natural yogurt with a sprinkling of dried yeast.

So I gave it a try, with a kit from eBay, having followed the instructions for microwaving the compost the day before. The only thing this grew in 3 days, was mold!! A round of bread is much too much. I managed to save some of the worms and tried again, but no way was much happening.... give up!
Well no don't lets do that, another culture from eBay it was even cheaper, more worms, less compost! Suggested food, fish food-Flakes. So I sprinkled a few flakes on the compost and left it until the next day, when I found the flakes had vanished!!

Now a few days later I am adding food in the morning, to find it gone at tea time, when I replace it again. I have also tried food in granuler form and dry yeast which are also eaten readly, but the small piece of bread has been there for 4 days and it's hardly been touched.

Some people suggest feeding them Veggies this I've yet to try. Well they say you are what you eat, so perhaps my worms will get all those vitamins and minerals in the flakes and pass them on to my fish... Here's a couple of pics.

Advice and comments welcome, in-fact you must!!

Mel.

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4281 times
Been liked: 3932 times

When ever I had a white worm culture I've always used fish flake and covered them with a sheet of hessian. ;)
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Baddams
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 91 times

Has anyone sent up The Vale! Sign? He's the resident King of The Cultures.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5480 times
Been liked: 2684 times

@Vale!
Done :D
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

You rang?

OK - I'll see if I can put something useful together - though the way that I 'culture' them differs from the 'tupperware tub' method which is prevalent on Youtube etc. Mind you, the difference is mainly one of scale I suppose.

I'll take some video and/or pics over the next day or three.