Choosing fish

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Penfold
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 21 times

Hello,

As you’ll note from another post on here, I’m still working on my fishless cycle of the tank. Despite this I’m googling lots of fish options for my 60l freshwater tank.

I’m in a soft water area (3.15 clarke hardness) using a tank that’s currently heated to 26C. I’d like a mix of creatures and am currently thinking of some shrimp with some neon tetras. I would like some catfish but have a coarse gravel so have ruled it out.

Any views on the above or alternatives? Really I’d like a mix of fish including some that swim in a shoal and are shiny/luminescent.

Thanks,
Penfold
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

Hi Penfold and welcome . I gather your tank is 10 gallons. I also did the "Fishless cycle" in my soft water tank, about 7 - 8 months ago, and I don't know if you are aware that soon it will be suffering from brown and green algae, which is perfectly natural . When I first saw mine I got a little panic, but with the help of the experts on this forum, the tank got through that phase. I can relate some experience I have with my 40 gallon one. Regarding shrimps, well if you want to see them you will need quite a lot, and you will need to choose fish that will not eat them. Next about Neon Tetra; I have 10 as they are a shoal fish and don’t do well in small numbers, but are great to lighten up the tank. Also consider RASBORAS, as they also shoal and are quite small. You may also require bottom grazers to keep the substrate clean. For this task I originally got 5 Pepper Corydoras, but their hobbies are sex and eating. So there are now 8! There are many different varieties of Corys, but try to get the type which you can see against the substrate colour. After the cycle was complete, I found that my well planted tank was able to absorb the Nitrate created by the fish etc. I assume you will add plants. Good luck and enjoy lour hobby.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3424 times

If you're still cycling, you could change the gravel for sand before getting fish. ;)
If you are looking at shrimp and neons then when the cycle has completed, turn it down to 22C, the new inhabitants will be happier then. :)
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

Forgot to mention , you have GOT to have Guppies. But only the males. They are an incredible colourful fish and very active. If it is a mixed group then I understand the males hassle the females which can then suffer stress. I have 3 males and they are always on the move.
Penfold
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 21 times

The tank is 15 gallons / 60 litres.
plankton wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:36 am turn it down to 22C, the new inhabitants will be happier then. :)
And so will I, cheaper to run then!

Unfortunately the tank is a Biorb so the gravel is a necessity. If I’d done a bit more research instead of a compulsive purchase in the shop I probably would’ve gone down a different route, but it looks good so hey ho.

I was looking at Guppys, but heard they have a taste for shrimp so I thought that neons might be a bit safer. Shrimps are there to act as bottom feeders in lieu of catfish plus they look quite cool.
ahulleman
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 71 times

I have 6 harlequin rasboras in my tank (only started 2 weeks ago lol) and from what ive read and know from my dad,
Rasboras are active and passive little creatures! They're not tail nippers as some fish! And them being relatively small (1 to 2") you can have a decent amount within your tank!
I myself am not sure yet wether im going for a big schol of rasbora's (as it looks amazing when you have a bunch together in the tank) or attempt to mix and match a bit!
Click to see my current tank

Tank: 64Ltr Love Fish Panorama with Tetra IN600 internal filter (modified to have bio and sponge filtration)
10 Harlequin Rasbora's
3 Male Guppies
2 yellow neocardia shrimp, 8 Amano shrimp and assassin snails as my maintenance crew

You never know where to look when eating a banana ::angel::
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3410 times

Jon_D wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:33 am Forgot to mention , you have GOT to have Guppies. But only the males. They are an incredible colourful fish and very active. If it is a mixed group then I understand the males hassle the females which can then suffer stress. I have 3 males and they are always on the move.
Penfold has soft water (3.15 clarke hardness) which is only 2.5dGH (degrees German).
Guppy require hard water, so are out of the question. (sorry Jon)

Stay safe & healthy everyone
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)