Nettle leaf food

jacksdad
Posting Legend
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 272 times

At this time of year, I collect and dry (or just eat) the new nettle leaves: proper superfood and its packed with protein and minerals....so I thought I'd give the CRS a treat as well :D
Just picked a single leaf, blanched it in a little boiling water, gave it a little bit of mashing with a teaspoon handle and let it cool, then dropped into the Shrimp Tank. I think they like it! ::thumb::
They were on it in seconds, word flashed round the tank and half the population were soon trying to get some.

Its been in for about an hour now, and there's still several shrimp feeding, but the ramshorn snails haven't touched it, which is good news! :grin:
Fluval 160, Boyu 300 'New Used Project 2' , Leddy 60l Shrimp tank
eBay stalker bargain hunter!
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4279 times
Been liked: 3926 times

I pick them wild, as long as it area there's no pesticides used, it safe to harvest some leaves. ;)

Mark's Aquatics, he shows a few others you can use.

WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
jacksdad
Posting Legend

After 24 hours all that was left was the leaf skeleton, and now that's gone as well, they must have enjoyed it!
piker
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 192 times

Mine love nettle leaves
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4279 times
Been liked: 3926 times

Going of the topic slightly have you tried Eggplant with your Shrimp, I haven't think I might give it a try.

I had to check that it was aubergine, eggplant is the American name.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
jacksdad
Posting Legend

I'm going to try all the suggested leaves and veg, a natural diet with supplements is always best for anything :)
I like nettles as they are full of protein, along with a load of vitamins and minerals, I eat them myself all the time they grow, and dry leaves to make tea all year round, plus dandelion, plantain and blackberry leaves.
thebendyfox
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 149 times

Plenty of nettles around your area Jacksdad —- makes a change from the dodgy kebab shops in the town Center ;)
Alea iacta est

::60ltr Community Tank:: - Cockatoo Cichlid Pair; Cockatoo Cichlid Fry, 12x Cherry Barbs; 6x Amano Shrimp
jacksdad
Posting Legend

Lots of dried nettles saved now, but they are for my nettle tea!
I've fed the shrimp a few more fresh leaves, they love them, without doubt their favourite food, so I'm going to freeze lots of fresh leaves for the winter :)
I've just had a good watch of the tank, there must be 15 new borns, tiny ones, they tend to stay on the sponge filters or in the java moss, and I counted 14 berried ladies.
Another thing I've spotted: when I add a pinch of Bacter AE powder, dozens of shrimp swim to the surface, and either swim upside down feeding, or cling to the Elodea Densa to feed, and I've just watched 2 actually break the surface by climbing up the plant stems that have gone through it, and are feeding away quite happily! :O
I'll try to get some clear pictures, has anyone else seen such behaviour?
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

My shrimp do all sorts of gymnastics in amongst the floating plant roots.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.