Maintenance for shrimp only tanks?

jacksdad
Posting Legend
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 272 times

Hi, just been looking over a few posts, it seems that many people (not all on here!) clean the tank substrate, in shrimp only tanks. ::eek::
I do occasionally clean the fish tank substrate with a syphon tube, and even then there's not a huge amount of muck removed, I do see the bottom feeders soon invade the spot I've cleaned, and spend a while rummaging around for scraps :D
Now, the Shrimp Tank! I've never hoovered the substrate at all, my understanding is that the shrimp actually need the biofilm that builds up, to feed on. When I feed them the food is gone in minutes, plant leaves last at best 24 hours, and they are breeding very well, and I've lost just 2 adults in 7 months, now have over 100 from the first 10, currently about 10 berried mums :cool:
When I do a 10% water change, once a week or so, I stir up a 5cm patch of the substrate, quite a lot of detritus appears, but the shrimp pounce on this patch, and spend a while feeding.
So, the question is, should I be cleaning the substrate a little more? I'm happy as things are, same as the shrimp, but I don't want to be building up any nasty toxins etc. that may break out!
Fluval 160, Boyu 300 'New Used Project 2' , Leddy 60l Shrimp tank
eBay stalker bargain hunter!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5089 times
Been liked: 3435 times

Have you got sand or gravel?
Sand doesn't need much looking after anyway, just removal of anything loose on top.
Gravel may need a deep clean every few months, but only a quarter at a time, not all of it......
I don't see why shrimp should be any different as that would allow all areas to have biofilm......
jacksdad
Posting Legend

Its Unipac Limpopo fine gravel. I did notice a fair bit of muck when I stirred up the small patch yesterday, so I think I'll start hoovering small areas every 2 weeks, that way I won't disturb thengs too much.
And today I've found a dead shrimp :( only the third one I've ever found though, I did a bit of extra work yesterday, changed about 20% of water in total, washed one sponge filter (I do the pair alternatively every month) and trimmed the plants, maybe thats why?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5089 times
Been liked: 3435 times

They don't like a lot of change, do they.....maybe 20% was a bit much for him/her.
You do have a few now though. :D
jacksdad
Posting Legend

I agree, I always do 10% every 2 weeks or so, but I did this, then took more water out to clean the sponge as I'd thrown the old water. Despite the usual advice, I've washed one sponge filter at a time, in tap water, as they are filthy, then give it a final rinse in tank water with a drop of Stability added. This has worked well so far, going from 10 to over 100 shrimp in 7 months and lots more on the way :)