Newbie from scratch

Tell us a bit about yourself!
stechappo
Has liked: 530 times
Been liked: 586 times

Really nice them fish, but just understand that if you do the fish in cycle with them there is a good chance of loosing one or two, some people use Zebra Danios to cycle with, tough choice to do but they are very hardy and can stand the rigmarole of the varying water parameters. The guppies they wont look at there best either till your tanks established, this I have learnt the hard way. Good luck though. :woo:
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4244 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Gingerlove05 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 19:06 pm The safest way to cycle a tank is the fishless cycle, here’s a link to the guides section that explains it:

https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/guides

And to keep shrimp of a certain colour/pattern you keep them with their own species. Any difference in colour/species will eventually cause them to revert back to natural colours.
I'll will add, that you need to move on new shrimplets (young shrimp) with poor colour otherwise the colour slowly but surely be breed out. In my case I did the other way round and sold all my good coloured shrimps to Aquatic stores in favour of keeping the wild type Neocaridina.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Drifty
Posting Legend
Has liked: 2117 times
Been liked: 761 times

Thank you guys

I have no plans to add any live animals until the tank has cycle.
If it takes 12 weeks 18 weeks I'm no rush :)

As for the shrimps I have written down: Own kind, One color (blue or red), Get rid of the newbies that don't match in brightness lol
Create Not Hate
codheadjohn
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 126 times

There are different grades of shrimp, which denotes how vibrant the colour is. The higher grade you get, the longer they will keep their colour through the generations. You can make it better by removing the lesser coloured ones.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

Drifty wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 17:26 pm So I looked it up my water is moderately hard. my post code is po5 2dg.
My cycle for tank is using fluval biological cycle.
Hi David

According to Portsmouth Water your water is 16.39dGH which is hard (they rounded the figure down).
I don't understand why the water company say 'moderately hard' when the water is definitely 'hard' almost verging on 'very hard' (maybe a typo error).

Here's my hardness table. (click to enlarge)

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)