Damaged aquarium hood

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Forum suggestion always welcome. All things non-fishy related.
Danmartinmc

Hi please help if possible
I bought a 64litre interpet aquarium 2 years ago and because I didn’t get a water condenser cover the lights have just blown up today and the inside hood looks Completely ruined, I tried to buy a replacement hood but they are out of stock for the same one on the interpet site and cost the same as a new one anyway. Question is

Can I just remove the attached hinged hood altogether and buy some sort of glass/plastic cover? What would be the name for this?

Can I buy some sort of clamped lighting to attach to the aquarium? Or is this not recommended? I am really at a loss what to do but I really don’t want to get rid of my aquarium as my fish are happy and content, please help and many thanks for your answers and recommendations in advance

Dan
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Hello and welcome Dan :)
Sorry to hear about the lights, they’re normally sealed so they dont blow entirely, could just be the bulb or the starter. Do you have any pics?
People have replaced/fitted different lights including led strips/rope lights :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Danmartinmc

Thank you for the welcome

Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

No idea what the first pic is showing ;)

The last one looks like a proper blow-out. I like your idea of adding a clip-on light to your tank and either have it open or, if you have potential jumpers among your livestock, put an acryllic or glass or see-through plastic lid on.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 1823 times

I’m getting an acrylic lid cut to fit my newest tank and I have the Nicrew lights as they got decent reviews. I can’t say how they’ll last as they’re literally 2-3 days old, but i’m Happy they’re quite secure and i’ll feel even happier once the lid arrives (I just searched online for somewhere that cuts to size).
Helps if I add a picture 🤦🏽‍♀️
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

Condensation tray is the thing you're looking for to stop the water getting on the lights.
Does the tank have something it can rest on? (I can't tell from the pics)
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4244 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK

You always employ the Mrs to stand beside the aquarium with a torch. :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Ricrhys
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 469 times
Been liked: 560 times

VikingMummy2015 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 19:52 pm I’m getting an acrylic lid cut to fit my newest tank and I have the Nicrew lights as they got decent reviews. I can’t say how they’ll last as they’re literally 2-3 days old, but i’m Happy they’re quite secure and i’ll feel even happier once the lid arrives (I just searched online for somewhere that cuts to size).
Helps if I add a picture 🤦🏽‍♀️
I not long got the Nicrew light, was a little worried I’d knock it in, I did this fire more peace of mind.

Just a cable tie to secure it.