Ste's Tank

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4375 times
Been liked: 2888 times

Looks toppa that tank Ste. I like it much better than your last theme.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 7 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 2 SAE.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Looking good Ste :)
I agree with Stephen i like the close up at the end, but that is definitely a “what are you looking at?! Get out of my area!” flare :D
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
stechappo
Has liked: 530 times
Been liked: 586 times

Thanks guys much happier with the setup now, probably a bit too much plants, looks full but there is a 6" clear space along the back too behind the roots as well as the front I plan on putting the giant Vallis at the back but will wait while they are at this stage, if I put my hand near the centre to replant the Vallis they dig up she darts at my hand, fry should be free swimming any day now, hopefully they will survive and grow.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

I like a nice group of lemons.
I only have 6 left of my original 12, but they are getting on for six years old now.....
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Really nice looking tank now and seems you have made some sensible stocking decisions there. Now fingers crossed for the splish-splash of tiny fins :)
stechappo

Ric wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:04 am Really nice looking tank now and seems you have made some sensible stocking decisions there. Now fingers crossed for the splish-splash of tiny fins :)
Just reading and following everyones advice on here @Ric has helped a hell of a lot and seeing everyone else's tank's here is very inspiring.
stechappo

Both pairs had the fry out on Tuesday, right pair had around 20 wigglers still with yolk sacs, left pair had easily over 100, by yesterday right pair down to around 10, the left around 30, noticed the left male was constantly hoovering them up and spitting them out, just before lights out noticed that a lot of the fry looked dead, when he was spitting them out they where not moving, odd one would wiggle then stop, think the male went overboard a bit on his care of them.

This morning all 4 are swimming around together, the aggression has stopped and feeding together so assume no fry left. Better luck next time hopefully, need to consider if having two pairs is working even in a 6ft tank they need more then 3ft of there own space each, thinking about purchasing some extra males and sell the females to stop the breeding and being territorial as a different option.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

There was me thinking you actually wanted to breed them? Would it not be better then to move on the pairs and start afresh with a male-only group (or female only, if that works)?
stechappo

Ric wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:48 pm There was me thinking you actually wanted to breed them? Would it not be better then to move on the pairs and start afresh with a male-only group (or female only, if that works)?
I never buy with the intention to breed I just let nature take it's coarse, I just don't have the setup to grow fry on, if they make it all well and good, just leaving things as they are for now though.
stechappo

Last Thursday noticed the left side female was being chased by the male quite aggressively till she was away from there territory, on Friday she was hanging around the back in the centre of the tank breathing very rapidly tested the water and 0.0.5 ph7. Saturday still the same so done a water change to be on the safe side, small rescaping of the left side. Male still bullying her on Sunday she lost some colour and looked stressed but still swimming around no clamped fins, occasional bit of food, still breathing rapidly, no external signs of disease of injuries, all I could think of was an internal infection/disease. Monday picked up a bottle of Esha 2000 and started to dose. No real improvement so far.

This afternoon her breathing had slowed a bit but now she is starting to rest more on the bottom getting pushed about by the other 3 looking very dark and stressed.