Juwel Rio 125

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Looking good after the rescape ::thumb::

In your ''Before'' picture, I would have thought the hygro (front right) was too bunched together to do well. They like a bit of space around their stems and leaves, so should be growing really well now.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

jammedfool wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 23:22 pm Funnily enough the same pump I plugged in instead of the heater! (Why do I still have it even??)
Yes, why? Chuck it now whilst you remember :D :D
jammedfool wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 18:09 pm I somehow had plugged in an old non functioning pump instead of the heater
That's where little sticky labels come in handy, either directly stuck onto each plug or onto the respective cable, wherever it is easily visible.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5447 times
Been liked: 2668 times

The HP wont remove the hair algae, it will kill it however. Fish can eat it once its dead or it can be removed easier because it is dead :)
It does look tidier though :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
jammedfool
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 301 times

Ric wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 15:03 pm Looking good after the rescape ::thumb::

In your ''Before'' picture, I would have thought the hygro (front right) was too bunched together to do well. They like a bit of space around their stems and leaves, so should be growing really well now.
Thanks!

Someone did mention that ages ago, but I didnt have a clue where to put them, there were so many stems.
I had a little read up on dutch aquascaping and although I'm definitely not in that league, it gave me some ideas on plant positioning and as you say, giving space between stems

I have 2 types of hygro in here, one is corymbosa "stricta" (front right previously) and the other was siamensis 53b (at the back previously)
The stricta has been positioned around the back of the tank as has the 53b, though I'm not sure which will do best or what the difference is - I did hack them back a fair amount, last time that resulted in the nice bright green leaves shooting out which is what i'd like back right above the bogwood and a little on the left too.
The 53b also was growing mainly unattached to anything (roots sprouting all up the stem and just dangling!) so I've chopped off and repositioned as well (tiny bit at front right, will probably have to move that or keep trimming)

No doubt i'll keep fiddling as i ran out of time last night and the fish were complaining about lack of visibility or something...

Regarding the algae, you can probably still see some on the bacopa... it still there around the tank, but I may move Pedro (the amano shrimp) across to help tackle whats left... does he need much acclimation? it will be pretty much the same water about 1 degree different in temp?
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

I've moved from tank to tank without a problem ( as long as the stats are pretty much the same )
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2275 times
Been liked: 1945 times

Looks better after your rescape, can't see much algae so you must have done a good job removing it, for an easy red plant try Ludwigia it wont get as red in a low light situation but it's a good hardy plant and should add some colour and will grow without CO2.
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
jammedfool

Staffylover wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 21:56 pm Looks better after your rescape, can't see much algae so you must have done a good job removing it, for an easy red plant try Ludwigia it wont get as red in a low light situation but it's a good hardy plant and should add some colour and will grow without CO2.
Thanks! I think that you can't see the algae is due to the picture being far away, I can definitely still see it today haha!
I do have a single stem of ludwigia repens left, for some reason it really failed in the other tank (maybe due to no soil?) It's on the left.. you might spot some more algae here!

I haven't been adding ferts due to the hair algae... Leaving it out hasn't helped, lighting down hasn't helped either, though I thought about removing the rear reflector and seeing if that helps... there is tropica soil balls under he sand (and some on top) I did get completely the wrong stuff for this setup!
Maybe I should take the sand and gravel to the front and have soil bare at the back as I've seen in other tanks?
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2275 times
Been liked: 1945 times

Lovely barb :) You could try black out days to help combat the algae, also fast growing stem plants might help, do you get this problem in your other tank? If not there must be a difference somewhere, I see you have a shrimp but I would not have thought only 1 would make that much difference, it can't eat that much surely? But I've not yet tried shrimp so couldn't say really, I do have Siamese Algae eaters, lovely fish in their own right and they do help with the algae but would be too big for your tanks. How new is the substrate I wonder if that could be putting extra nutrients into the water column? Don't think I've helped you really but best of luck.
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
jammedfool

Staffylover wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 19:42 pm Lovely barb :) You could try black out days to help combat the algae, also fast growing stem plants might help, do you get this problem in your other tank? If not there must be a difference somewhere, I see you have a shrimp but I would not have thought only 1 would make that much difference, it can't eat that much surely? But I've not yet tried shrimp so couldn't say really, I do have Siamese Algae eaters, lovely fish in their own right and they do help with the algae but would be too big for your tanks. How new is the substrate I wonder if that could be putting extra nutrients into the water column? Don't think I've helped you really but best of luck.
Thanks!
I will try blackout for a couple of days at some point - yes the one amano on his own probably wont do much, but its something haha. maybe time for him/her to have some friends join

Stems I have are bacopa caroliniana and hygro (if that counts). The substrate is 6 months or so, same as the tank and I did start with EI, but havent added any in months, so may just be the tropica soil as it isnt that heavily planted to use all the nutrients i guess...
On the list is eleocharis, buce, possibly rotala, altheranea or some other reds... no CO2 though, so... will likely be slow and hit/miss!
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
jammedfool