Epistylis

black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

I would steal a little bit of media from the main filter and transfer the fish with their water, and continue to reduce the salt before each dose. How long before you could transfer them?
Amorvo1
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 109 times

I can move them over tonight, but I worry how quickly I can get Protozin. I’ll check with the local shops and see if they have any.

So transfer barbs on their own into spare tank with media in filter from main tank along with water from main tank and gradual water changes to bring salt down.
black ghost
Posting Legend

Amorvo1 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 17:48 pm I can move them over tonight, but I worry how quickly I can get Protozin. I’ll check with the local shops and see if they have any.

So transfer barbs on their own into spare tank with media in filter from main tank along with water from main tank and gradual water changes to bring salt down.
Yeah. But you’ll need to treat all affected fish... and I’m not sure the move is even necessary if you’re pulling the salt out of the main tank.
Amorvo1

Ah ok, sorry I thought you meant just to reduce the salt for the barbs.

I am massively overwhelmed right now 🙈!!!
black ghost
Posting Legend

It’s your call. You could see out the salt bath for the others. I’m a bit confused now aswell. Have the other fish got similar symptoms just not as bad? I’m just assuming the others have the same thing and the salt isn’t working.
Amorvo1

black ghost wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 18:27 pm It’s your call. You could see out the salt bath for the others. I’m a bit confused now aswell. Have the other fish got similar symptoms just not as bad? I’m just assuming the others have the same thing and the salt isn’t working.
I haven’t seen anything on the corydoras, or the gudgeons. I saw a few spots on the ram but can’t see any now.

I don’t get it at all and it seems to be really aggressive and non responsive to anything I’ve done so far. I must have replaced thousands of litres of water by now too over the space of this month.
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2297 times
Been liked: 1968 times

I had a case of Columnaris or similar once in QT tank, it was quite stressful to deal with as it was so aggressive, fish showed irregular spots, lots of them, some of them fuzzy, after treating with protozin no more fish got sick, but I did loose all of the affected fish, ones that showed visible symptoms that is, I hope you are able to get more success, I can sympathize it's not an easy thing to deal with :[
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
(230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Primo 70l - Limia Islai
40l/70L - Black- bellied Limia/Paradise fish.)
black ghost
Posting Legend

Aah ok. Then I’d remove the barbs.

Apologies for sending you down the salt bath route. Disease diagnosis when it’s not an obvious one involves a bit of guess work and assumption. Without a microscope that’s about as good as it gets.
black ghost
Posting Legend

Staffylover wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 19:05 pm I had a case of Columnaris or similar once in QT tank, it was quite stressful to deal with as it was so aggressive, fish showed irregular spots, lots of them, some of them fuzzy, after treating with protozin no more fish got sick, but I did loose all of the affected fish, ones that showed visible symptoms that is, I hope you are able to get more success, I can sympathize it's not an easy thing to deal with :[
My point exactly. Columnaris is bacterial and Protozin does protozoan and fungal. Sometimes you can’t get an accurate ID and have to narrow it down by failed treatments. And often it’s more than one disease.
Last edited by black ghost on Fri Jan 28, 2022 20:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amorvo1

Please don’t apologise, I know it’s trial and error and it can’t all be sweetness and light in this kind of hobby. Just really unfortunate and bad timing as it always is! Thank you for all the help.

I’ll do a relatively small water change tonight, and move the barbs over with some fresh water and some of the existing at the same time. Get a larger one done tomorrow!