RallyMatt’s 60L Cube: Puffua New Guinea & The Escargot Emporium!

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
RallyMatt
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Been liked: 1 time

Hi All,

I’ve had the 24L nano tank running for a while now but have never been truly happy with it. Time was short while setting up so everything was more ‘thrown in’ rather than taking the time to get it ‘right’... the joys of having fish waiting in a bucket I guess!

So far it’s in this state where the dragon rock works and the tree attempt kind of works too, just not together in that smaller tank as it messes with the perspective as well as my OCD!

After spending the afternoon fishing a load of fresh baby RCS out of the tank in preparation for giving the livestock a holiday, I decided to have a play with some of the eleventy million spare bits we have hanging around.

First off, before trying a ‘legitimate’ scape I thought it would be a good idea to use a tray to mock everything up on to help get an idea of scale. I even ended up even adding some cardboard around the back two edges so I knew for sure how much room I will have to play with which I’m sure that will come in handy later as I have half a plan...

After swapping the 125L for the 200L we have a good few pieces of dragon rock sat surplus so decided to start there. After playing around with a few different angles, the rock found a position which worked and supported itself.

Due to the positioning on the desk, the tank will be seen both from the front as well as the side. Planning the tank to be viewed from both directions is going to play a major role so I have used chalk on the tray to mark areas for plants, substrate, sand and sea.

The larger piece of dragon rock has so many holes in it the thing is almost hollow, which lead me to the idea of feeding a pipe through to make an underwater waterfall as another feature for the tank. As the dragon rock is highly compressed clay, it is easily cut and drilled so fitting an outlet for a waterfall should be reasonably simple, maybe?!

To help get an idea of where was best to drill I again used some chalk to test a few possible drill spots to see how the chalk dust would fall best without getting stuck in any other parts of the rock. After a few tries I found an area I was happy with so drilled a small hole using a battery drill, increasing the bit size until it matched the pipe as well as making a recess in the back for the feed pipe to sit which I can cover up later with the small pieces of rock and some planting.

... it was all going fine until the rock dried out a little too much when using the largest drill bit. Thankfully I was able to reattach it with a little superglue for now. Eventually I will use the smaller pieces of rock to build up the larger pieces in the photos to hide the powerhead for the waterfall, then mould everything all into one easily removable object, hopefully!!

That’s probably more than enough for you all tonight, I now just need to wait for a few other bits to turn up now before I can do much more...... beer o’clock then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by RallyMatt on Sat Jul 06, 2019 13:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
60L Nano Cube - ‘Puffua New Guinea’ (3x Dwarf Puffer Fish).
12L Nano - ‘Escargot Emporium’ - Snail Breeding Tank.
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

I really hope this works! An underwater waterfall will be ace :D

There is only so much you can learn from YouTube so fingers crossed it goes as planned without too many hiccups :D

500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank :)
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

Looking very nice indeed, you certainly had fun with the dragon rock :D
Will have to check out underwater waterfall on YouTube, seen them done with sand.
Always summat to do eh ;)
Keep us posted !
Bikini Bottom - 168l Bronze, Peppered & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry & Green Tiger Barb, Amanos The Kremlin - 58l  Bronze Corys
QT - 15l
Bronze Cory Fry
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

This is what happens when watching YouTube. You see someone do something cool and then the next day you’re building it ROFL will definitely be an interesting project!!

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5082 times
Been liked: 3435 times

This sounds like an interesting project.....except for the bit about superglue..... ;) :D
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
RallyMatt
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

.. I wasn’t planning on using it but desperate times call for desperate measures!! Once I have all of the rock together as one piece I will seal everything in so there’s no risk of any contamination to the water quality [emoji1305]

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5082 times
Been liked: 3435 times

The superglue is fine, I was just being silly about how much you're going to need if you keep breaking it..... ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

[quote="plankton" pid='23554' dateline='1554794680']
The superglue is fine, I was just being silly about how much you're going to need if you keep breaking it..... ;)
[/quote]

I get the feeling I’ll need to put a couple of extra bottles on the shopping list ROFL

RallyMatt
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

[quote="plankton" pid='23554' dateline='1554794680']
[/quote]

Lol! ... I’ve never really been a fan of using superglue for aquarium stuff anyway being honest. Hopefully I shouldn’t need to drill any more bits but can definitely recommend keeping the dragon rock damp while you work with it!

I think if it all holds together well enough (eek!), making the waterfall feature one solid piece will make life easier in the end when it comes to tank husbandry duties or if there’s ever a blockage in the feed pipes or if the powerhead ever stopped working so it has to be worth a try.

Last edited by RallyMatt on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5473 times
Been liked: 2683 times

I’m just interested to see a sea in a fresh water tank ;) :D
Just a thought, did you slow the drill down when going up the sizes? If not might be worth trying, it might help prevent it cracking again. Thats if you have any more drilling (or rock left) to do :D
I’ll be following the progress with interest, i like a good diy project :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!