Ornate Cory's

Phil R
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 32 times

Lost another Cory yesterday. I am at my wits end trying to understand this. Was swimming around fine in the morning but by late afternoon it was dead. The last 2 are looking and feeding fine. If it is a water problem then I would have thought they would all be dead by now not one every week as it is now. I put a large piece of bogwood in 8 days ago and PH is down to 7.4. I have been keeping a check on ammonia and tank consistently showing 0.25. Checked tap water and that shows the same so checked some deionised water I have and that shows the same, about 0.25 ammonia so now thinking API kit is reading incorrectly or colour chart is wrong and ammonia is in fact zero. I have also been dosing with Seachem safe every 2 days but still ammonia showing 0.25. I really do want to get more cory's but until I get to the bottom of this then that will have to be put on hold. 
Can anyone suggest some cory's suitable for my water. Parameters listed earlier in thread. 
Thanks.
Phil.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5086 times
Been liked: 3435 times

Something that isn't wild caught.
I can keep the following in 7.9dGH...good acclimatisation is necessary and a dose of Melafix in the bag and then in the tank.
Delphax, leucomelas, sterbai, panda, aeneus, c48, gossei, rabauti, paleatus (pepper).
I can't keep any of the dwarfs (pygmeus, habrosus, hastatus) or trilineatus.
Don't think I've tried anything else.

Yes I have - concolor. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
TopCookie

Hi Phil and sorry to hear about your Ornatus... I got myself some a short while ago so am consequently interested in your thread and will keep my fingers crossed for your last two...