Unwell fish

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your ponds.
Mito
Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 190 times

I recently built a new pond to make better conditions for the fish I have. I'll use the generic name "goldfish" but there are two or three different varieties. The pool is lined with PVC sheet bought for pools. The pool is connected to three other pools all sharing the same water, about 1,500l in total. A couple of days ago the fish were at the surface as if short of oxygen. I put another pump in the pool to help oxygenate it. It made a slight difference but the fish are still at the surface and very sluggish. I can see no fungus around the mouths nor gills. The strange thing is that the fish in the other ponds are OK. There are plants and filters. The fish are around 10 years old. Any ideas or suggestions?
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

Has the temp gone up? If the pool is shallower or has less capacity than the other pools it may be more affected by heat changes. I imagine it’s getting very hot in Spain now.

What is the flow rate between the pools? Could it be the water isn’t getting circulated enough? Or does each pool have its own filter?

Have you tested each pool for ammonia etc?

Those are my first thoughts.
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank :)
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

Oh sorry to read, can’t offer any help, hopefully Cheltgirl’s suggestions throw a bit of light on things. It is getting warmer, do you have any shade over the ponds ?
Fingers crossed sorted soon. ??
Bikini Bottom - 168l Bronze, Peppered & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry & Green Tiger Barb, Amanos The Kremlin - 58l  Bronze Corys
QT - 15l
Bronze Cory Fry
Mito

Thanks for the replies. Temperatures have gone up but the water temp goes up slowly. The pool is 60cm deep and in partial shade. All the tests are OK and the water flow around the pools is about 900l per hour with cascades between each pool and a second pump spraying the pool.  There are two filters, one a sponge one with an ultra violet lamp, the second is a filter with volcanic rock. The water is not as clear as it could be but is clearing. I think they have picked up an infection but can't understand why the other ponds aren't affected. Looking just now there's one fish which won't last the day. I've no oil of cloves to put it down. I'll phone our vet to see if he can come up with a solution or has something I can put in the pool.
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

Oh sorry to read that you may loose one.

Do you have any cloves in your spice rack, you could soak in hot water, crush to release some of the oil, might work ? Maybe other more experienced members could comment.
Bikini Bottom - 168l Bronze, Peppered & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry & Green Tiger Barb, Amanos The Kremlin - 58l  Bronze Corys
QT - 15l
Bronze Cory Fry
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

That is a shame. If an infection of some sort has got into the water then the weakest fish is likely to be affected first. At 900l per hour on a 1500l system that's only just over half volume turnover an hour. I'm far from a pond expert but I believe that it would ideally be at least one full volume per hour. Is the pump you have adjustable?

With cascades between the pools you'd think there would be plenty of surface agitation for gas exchange but rising temps could still be a factor. How many fish are in the whole system? Is this the pond you put the goldies from your tank into a couple of weeks ago? Did you have any ammonia/nitrite appear after the move? What about nitrate?

Is there any chance something has got into the water? Chemical contaminant (anyone nearby using weedkiller/fertilizer etc) or maybe a wild animal that may have drowned and sunk out of sight?

Im more thinking out loud than anything. Not sure if any of it may be helpful but it's the list I would go through.
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank :)
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Mito

Problems temporally solved at the moment. Photos shortly. Lost one fish so not the disaster I was expecting. I did a large water change. About 80% in the affected pond and about 50% elsewhere. I modified a pump to give a strong flow over the water rather than a spray. I'm going to get a larger pump and change one of the ponds, 125l, into a large filter with volcanic stone and marginal plants.
I lost two of the youngsters from the tank. I didn't expect them to live as they were deformed. One had an overshot jaw, the other the eyes were set all to cock. Those that remain are doing well.
A couple of photos.

They seem to be enjoying themselves now.
Mito

Not a good day today. Spent the day in the local day hospital with my wife. She's had a carpal tunnel op so she's got out of the washing up for a while!
Got home to find 4 dead fish. No apparent signs except that some of them had red blothces on them as if blood vesels had burst. I've cleaned out two of the ponds, put fresh water in and turned off the pump. I've moved some into the clean water so we'll see in the morning how they are. If they're OK I'll clean the other two ponds and fill with clean water. Perhaps some activated charcoal would be the answer, but how much?
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5460 times
Been liked: 2672 times

Sorry for your losses :( hope the rest are ok
Also hope your wife recovers quickly :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Jen1981
Posting Legend
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 90 times

Could it be an issue with heat? Maybe drop a couple of big unopened ice bags in & see if maybe a drop in temp would help. Just a theory & I have absolutely no idea if that would be the cause or what I’m talking about lol...sorry...
Carpal tunnel ouch, our friend had that op done, she said she’d wished she’d got it done sooner, the relief she felt once all healed up was amazing!!