Si’s Pond

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your ponds.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 438 times
Been liked: 844 times

I really don't do enough updates on pond-world.

All fish doing well. Think I may have lost one to Mr heron over the last 18months at some point. Not sure when, but I'm definitely 1 goldfish down.

Plants have gone mental this year. Reeds are over 6ft long, all the plants round the pond edging have now taken over the patio (lawn has gone mad in 3 weeks too, but I'll deal with that) and the internal weed and other plants have gone mad too.

Due to having the heron start to visit this year I put a net on for a while. Hated it, then replaced with fishing line around the edge. I also have a family of foxes that live behind the garage so I think they may have been after the fish too.

I've let the weed grow to cover 2/3 of the pond for some fish cover and its done wonders for baby fish this year!

I've still got the 2 original black goldfish that survived, but annoyingly are still black. Last time I cleaned the filter out, I found 3 rough looking goldfish in the bottom of the filter, barely able to move in 2/3" of fish poop! They were dull, grey and unhealthy looking. I took them inside in a small tank. One died within 24hrs and the other slowly came around to reasonable health. They were about 3/4" and ill/ patchy skin. Fast forward a few weeks and the patchiest one had turned completely white into a nice bright fish and the other had become a deep bronze colour. They were probably about an inch.

When I got the new indoor fish a couiple of weeks ago I needed the tank space for quarantine and returned the little fish to the pond. Today I'm sat in the sun looking at a white and bright yellow baby goldfish (I think the one I raised) and lying next to the pond, there's a lot of others!! Sizes range from half an inch to about 1.5". Definitely leaving the weed in for cover for the winter for all the fish. Hoping to get lots of nice babies next year. Most are brown, grey or black for now, but hoping time will change their colours.

Here they are the day they were released.

And here's the cheeky monkey annoying my cats and trying to eat the fish!

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Excellent! lovely looking pond. You certainly need to post more updates of it :)
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Looks great mate, wish I could have a pond!
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3414 times

That's a nice looking pond Si ::thumbu::
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)