Newbie Advice

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Flex365 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 20:12 pm Thanks Ric - took a bit of time, patience and a hairdryer, to vinyl wrap the tank.
The wavy tiles are decorative tiles - the better half bought them a few years ago :)
haha, that's me out then - not much patience and no hair dryer :D :D

And congratulations on your better half's good taste :)
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 325 times
Been liked: 236 times

jacksdad wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 15:24 pm Well its certainly white now....:O
Wrapping looks great, you've done a good job there.
I'm getting into vinyl wrapping on my motorbike, going to try doing the fairing next, its going to be a pig of a job, but I've got the tools and buying 3M Ultra Gloss vinyl, grey 3D. One thing you really need is knifeless tape to cut it :)
Looking forward to seeing the end product - put some pics up of the motorbike once it’s all done. :)
Baddams
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 91 times

Wow, what a difference. The tank layout looks great too, Flex.
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner

Baddams wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 17:27 pm Wow, what a difference. The tank layout looks great too, Flex.
Thanks - I think it was worth the time and effort to Vinyl wrap the tank - I’m glad I didn’t take the easy option and just use paint - as you get a much better finish with the Vinyl Wrap.

The tank layout pics are still work in progress - as I just can’t leave things alone :D
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner

Can anyone advise as to what I can do to improve to improve water surface movement in the Fluval 240.
The inlet and outlet pipes come through the base of the tank on the right hand side - these are connected to a 306 Filter in the cabinet.
There is quite a bit of movement on the right hand side of the tank - but not very much on the left.
What can I do / use to improve the water movement on the left hand side of the tank ?
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 440 times

I used to fret about this and put an internal filter in the back left corner for a while, and later on a powerhead instead.

Then I realised the lack of movement was not causing anyone any problems, so I stopped bothering ;) Absolutely no issue whatsoever, fish healthy and happy. I inject CO2 too so good gas exchange is even more important.

But if you want something, a powerhead like the Hydor Koralia Nano will do the trick.
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner

@Suse - I decided to go with an small low cost internal filter ( no media just water being pumped out with a spray bar ) - the water is a lot more clearer now, there is a nice gentle ripple effect around the tank - plants are gently swaying and the fish seem to be more active. 😃
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 440 times

Sounds good! If it works for your tank, that's fab :) As a general rule, more is more when it comes to flow ;)
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Looking at your last pics I'm surprised that you need more flow. The tank is not overgrown and, it seems, not overstocked. Did/do you have any problems on the left hand side, such as rubbish build-up or stagnant corners?
Flex365
FOTM & TOTM Winner
FOTM & TOTM Winner

There didn’t seem to be much water movement on the left hand side of the tank. It was just bugging me to be honest. Since the new spray bar the whole tank just seems to be more healthy.The water movement has improved across the whole tank and the water clarity has improved a lot - also the fish seem to be more active.

I guess it’s just down to personal preference and whatever works for your tank.
The spray bar seems to be doing a good job , so I will keep it in there for now 🙂