Which otto ought I to go for?

VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 1835 times

Sorry, can't resist a wee play on words!

But seriously. New internal filter coming free with magazine subscription so I figure a wee group of 6 otto' s should absolutely finally round off the big tank. There are rocks with algae galore, plus diatoms all over my plants! Obviously I would wait for the filter to cycle before adding them, and I will pay attention to my pH as I suspect more filtration will knock the kH out entirely. I have potassium bicarbonate I can add if it becomes necessary.

But I know nothing about them because we went straight to cories as our "clean up crew" before learning they didn't. The nerite snails had to go when we needed to dose medication.

But now I think something to get the algae would be a nice finishing touch. Tank temperature is being slowly dropped from 27 (which I set it at for our failed GBR) to 25, which will better suit everyone left.

So; what ottos are good in pH 6 to 6.6, gH of 2 and kH of basically naff all. Or other algae cleaners...but do like the dinky look of ottos.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Kas

The otocinclus vittatus (I think?!) are the most commonly found in the LFS. Not sure if PASS Aquatics will have more of a selection? I've have them in my tank and they are great little fish. I don't see them at lights on, they are great at hiding amongst the plants. Your water parameters are fine. You'll need to consider supplementing their diet with VEG. Mine love red pepper and celery. I also put in algae wafers and rapashy solient green for them.
Last edited by Kas on Wed Feb 07, 2018 14:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Posting Legend
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Not sure what Otto's I have but there are 7 in my tank... or at least should be[emoji1] I do actually see mine with lights on. Was watching 4 different ones earlier. Have to rate as one of my top favs...
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5086 times
Been liked: 3435 times

Actually the most common at the moment are o.mariae.
O.vittatus are more difficult to come by, everyone just calls all of them vittatus, for no good reason other than that's what they come in labelled as.
I think the second most available are o.vestitus.
Zebras (o.cocama) and jumbo/pitbull (parotocinclus jumbo) are occasionally found.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Peter
Posting Legend

Zebra Otto's? Not heard of them. Im intrigued
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

From what I have read, zebra ottos are very nice but rather rare to get hold of.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Peter
Posting Legend

Now I do like them... but must resist... for now...[emoji6][emoji1][emoji1]
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Woo hoo...partner has given the thumbs up to ottos once the filter is up and running appropriately!

Peter
Posting Legend

Great news... you'll love them...
PJN
Posting Legend
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Great news! We'll want pics you know!