Fish by post?

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
Caol Ila
Been liked: 14 times

I'm leery of mail order fish but I'm struggling to find a male apistogramma borellii locally. Is it actually alright? Do the fish usually survive? Are there any suppliers who are particularly good, or conversely, who should be avoided?
Ruth
Posting Legend
Has liked: 733 times
Been liked: 1316 times

Just doesn’t FEEL right to me.... that’s my tuppence worth!
Mol_PMB
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 684 times

I have never bought fish by post, though I have bought several batches of coral frags.

This is a very bad time of year to do it. The volume of parcels around Christmas means many things get delayed or lost, and in the winter temperatures delay means death.

Wait until springtime, and make sure the seller uses courier registered to carry livestock (e.g. APC).
Jen1981
Posting Legend
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 90 times

I think it depends who you are buying from, an online retailer like pro shrimp etc then I don’t see the issue but eBay etc I would steer clear
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

A lot of them won’t post if it’s cold, but generally it’s not such a bad thing. But depending on the carrier the fish might be delayed overnight in their (unheated) depot (you never know). Also you’ll be buying any old borelli netted out of a tank of borelli. If your only buying one fish do you really want to buy it unseen? If they’re also a retail shop they won’t send you the best one....
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1420 times
Been liked: 3420 times

I have had a few deliveries of "fish by post".
Where the supplier uses a dedicated service as opposed to using Royal Mail then it works well.
I have used Aqualife Leyland without any issues and the fish have arrived safely, in great condition, well packed (double bagged), placed in a polystyrene box with a heat pack and then placed in a cardboard box. Delivery with Aqualife Leyland is made by mid-day, next day.
Highly recommended.
Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

I have ordered fish by post. Providing you research what you can about the person you are getting them from it's not a bad thing. Obviously it depends what fish you are getting. There are some where viewing and picking your own is much more important.

I found a supplier for 3 clown loach and a couple of cory. I bought them off ebay, but I checked the seller, who has a online shop/website plus a facebook page where I could check customer feedback. They also allow customers to visit their premises in person. Also they use APC couriers with delivery before 12pm. The fish all arrived healthy.

Personally I would not be put off buying on ebay, but I would be cautious looking for very high feedback scores and reading through the comments buyers have left about the fish. There are some good breeders on there, with high quality stock.
Netsu
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 199 times

Another vote of confidence for Aqualife Leyland.

I ordered from them earlier this year. Fish all fine, individually bagged and well protected and insulated.

I will use them again on my next (well, final) batch of fish for my tank.
Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

@Stephen and @Netsu just looked at Aqualife Leyland and can't see how you order for delivery. It looks good was just interested for when I am ready to stock my 125lt tank after Christmas. The seller I got my clown loach off don't stock the fish I will need. Will they deliver anywhere and not just locally? TIA :)
Mol_PMB
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 684 times

Aqualife Leyland is a great shop with a wonderful range of stock, happily for me it’s within reach of a visit so I have not tried their mail order service.
Give them a call or email, they’re friendly and helpful!