Juwel Rio 125L restart

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs
Adam.dunkley
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 10 times

Juwel Rio 125L restart

Post by Adam.dunkley »

Hello everyone,

Tried luck on tropical fish forum but was invited to join here.

Some of you on here might remember me, lol.

The run down, me and my now wife (got married 2nd August 2019) moved out of a rented property back in April 2019 we had been in for 4 years, been with the in-laws to save for a deposit to purchase our own house, 8 months later and we move in end of January..can’t wait!...to finally set my tank up again! :P :cool:

I wanted to get some advice and remind my brain of all the knowledge about fish keeping.

I have the standard bioflow filter built in to the tank, Juwel 125L.
I have ordered today, all the standard replacement media to start again but am looking at adding Seachem Matrix and/or Purigen, I had Purigen in the tank before, I always use Seachems prime, pristine to maintain and stability to start the tank off, but I’m curious what people’s thoughts are in adding matrix and/or Purigen? And where they would be placed in the filter baskets?

I’m also thinking of adding the tropica nano Co2 system to the tank, do you think this will be sufficient enough in a lightly planted aquarium?

Also I will be laying down tropica soil and then a substrate on top, any ideas which way to go with this as well?

Any help would be appreciated, sorry about the long ness of this, it’s been a while since I’ve been on here, so hello to everyone, sad about the other forum.

Pleco Fan
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has Liked: 310 times
Been liked: 112 times

Re: Juwel Rio 125L restart

Post by Pleco Fan »

Well I have always used Seachem Prime, I have Co2 in my tank, not sure how long a Nano canister would last.

stuaz
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has Liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by stuaz »

I used to have the same tank, also with co2. I wouldn't bother with the nano canisters. It wouldn't last long. Get yourself a regulator and a fire extinguisher.

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has Liked: 2223 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by Gingerlove05 »

Welcome to AF-UK Adam, I remember you from another place :)

Flex365
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has Liked: 226 times
Been liked: 148 times

Post by Flex365 »

Welcome Home

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester
Forum Jester
Has Liked: 1874 times
Been liked: 1936 times

Post by Martinspuddle »

Adam.dunkley wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 17:24 pm
I’m also thinking of adding the tropica nano Co2 system to the tank, do you think this will be sufficient enough in a lightly planted aquarium?
stuaz wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 19:06 pm
I used to have the same tank, also with co2. I wouldn't bother with the nano canisters. It wouldn't last long. Get yourself a regulator and a fire extinguisher.
Greetings!

Carbon dioxide. Another option is to have a look to see if you've got a drinks suppliers locally. They will be able to supply you with CO2 bar gas which is used to pump drinks in pubs up to the bar.
Friend of mine used to on his 240 litre high tech planted tank, it lasts absolutely ages. I seem to recall his last is roughly about 18 months per bottle and the company will deliver a fresh bottle and take your old one away. The cost worked out quite a bit cheaper in the long run and easier are course to get refills. The only downside is the size of the bottle, it is a little large. Mike managed to hide his in the under the stairs cupboard and plumbed it through the wall into the cabinet with a inline feed directly into the filter return pipe.
Pas de commentaires grossiers sur moi, pendant mon absence! :dodgy2:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2:

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has Liked: 1605 times
Been liked: 1410 times

Post by plankton »

Hi Adam, welcome to the forum. :)
The others have replied about CO2 (thank goodness, I know nothing....), I would use 2cm soil and 3 cm sand on top......
I'd also wait and see whether you need the Purigen and Matrix. I've had a Juwel tank for 20 years and not needed it......

fr499y
Admin-TOTM
Admin-TOTM
Has Liked: 466 times
Been liked: 1015 times

Post by fr499y »

Hello and welcome to AF-UK. As said, nano cylinders will last a few weeks at most. Regulator and a fire extinguisher are the way to go. Brand new FE are roughly £25 off ebay.

KevB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has Liked: 11 times
Been liked: 70 times

Post by KevB »

Agree re CO2, the small systems are more costly in the long term. A good quality regulator will last years and with a small tank the extinguisher will last ages. If you scale up in the future to a larger tank the basic set up is then already in place, all you need to do is upscale the final delivery part, the extinguisher and regulator are there.

Adam.dunkley
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Adam.dunkley »

Hello everyone, thanks for the warm welcomes and I remember some of you from the old forum.

Soil and sand will do well due to the fish I want to get.

The co2 system is my only downfall, I did not want to spend a lot of money on a system as I will hardly be pumping any in due to the low level of plants.

Also the main point my LFS sell and restock regular the nano refill cylinders and the nearest place to get a refil is over 1.5 hours away, which in my car will cost me more in fuel than is worth it.

I found the tropica nano system very cheap on a website compared to others so I have ordered this for now, I also contacted tropica and they think the cylinders will last 60 days in my tank which I’m ok with.