An other poorly platy

Viviparous or Live bearing fish - Mollies, Platties, Guppies
Tycho
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 156 times

I've got an other poorly platy, this one has what can only be described as having a whole in her head.

The tank that she is in is over stocked at the moment but I've been testing the water every 2nd water change... so fortnightly and everything comes back fine.

Any ideas what it could be and should I be concerned about the other fish?

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

How overstocked, what are your test reads, how often are you doing waterchanges?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Tycho

Its hard to say how over stocked it is as its mainly fry with a couple of exceptions however some of the fry have reach a size accepted by the lfs so was going to take them down at the weekend.

I do a 25 to 30% water change every week and I did a water test not last week but wee before and everything was 0. I do my water changes on a Thursday so I'll do an other test tonight before I change the water.
Martinspuddle

Tycho wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 0:46 am Any ideas what it could be and should I be concerned about the other fish?
The picture is not great clarity, so it's a little difficult to see what is wrong with this fish. Is there any other inmates looking unwell?
Doesn't look much wrong with those Lamb Chop Rasboras to me.
How long have you had that Platy?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5447 times
Been liked: 2668 times

I agree i cant see anything that would point to something wrong. As Martin has said how long have you had them? And what temp are you running at?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Temp and hardness could be important to understand what might be going on..... ;)
Tycho

When I got home last night and only the light built into the filter was on, will try to get a better picture when I get back from work, its one of my old fry that I ended up keeping as she kept hiding when I was taking them down the lfs, I think she is around 9 months old.

Hardness is quite hard... severn trent say 10.5 however measured it at 13 a few weeks ago when I bought a kit. I typically run the tank a little warm at 25 sometimes climbs a little higher
Tycho

The heater isn't the greatest as can't set the temp so might be time for an upgrade
Martinspuddle

Tycho wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:59 am When I got home last night and only the light built into the filter was on, will try to get a better picture when I get back from work, its one of my old fry that I ended up keeping as she kept hiding when I was taking them down the lfs, I think she is around 9 months old.
Was she fully grown when you purchased her, she maybe older than you think.
Tycho wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:59 am Hardness is quite hard... severn trent say 10.5 however measured it at 13 a few weeks ago when I bought a kit.
Mines 17 and anyway Platys like it hard.
Tycho wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:00 am The heater isn't the greatest as can't set the temp so might be time for an upgrade
Is your central heating on, it will have some baring on your aquariums temperature.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5447 times
Been liked: 2668 times

25C is a bit warm for them, i kept mine around 23C. But at 9 months old shes not that old.