Good brands

Food, feeding and diet.
ahulleman
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 71 times

Hello all :)

just a quicky hopefully..
At the moment im feeding my rasboras with your normal bog standard tropical flakes and some occasional frozen bloodworms and/or algea wafers.
But they never really have seemed to really "go" for it..

So i was wondering wether there were any high quality brands.
I now also have a few cherry shrimps (got them from a friend) and a new addition of assassin snails (thanks to @Ric :grin: )

Any suggestions would be appreciated :D
Click to see my current tank

Tank: 64Ltr Love Fish Panorama with Tetra IN600 internal filter (modified to have bio and sponge filtration)
10 Harlequin Rasbora's
3 Male Guppies
2 yellow neocardia shrimp, 8 Amano shrimp and assassin snails as my maintenance crew

You never know where to look when eating a banana ::angel::
SxAqua
Has liked: 486 times
Been liked: 353 times

They dont mate. Its really annoying. I've tried 3 different flakes and they are the same. I feed them flake or micro pellets in the morning and frozen daphnea and bloodworm in the evening.

They go mad for the daphnea for about 20 seconds and that's it.

The best food I have found is fish science fish treats(brine shrimp). They do love these twice a week as an only meal.
thebendyfox
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 149 times

Try varying food through the week; in the past I’ve have a schedule Where they have rotated between Flake, Dapnea and Bloodworm plus fasting days.
Alea iacta est

::60ltr Community Tank:: - Cockatoo Cichlid Pair; Cockatoo Cichlid Fry, 12x Cherry Barbs; 6x Amano Shrimp
SxAqua
Has liked: 486 times
Been liked: 353 times

I may even stop feeding flake totally soon, but I need to use some of these 3 tubs worth I've got sitting here 😄
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1422 times
Been liked: 3421 times

Tetra Prima Mini Granules are good.

425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 10 x Cory sterbai 49 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Try a starve day once a week and otherwise varied & little. Perhaps they are just full :)
mattindevon
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 50 times

My tetras used to go mad for flakes when they were young but show barely a flicker of interest now. I wonder if age plays a part? One think all of my fish agree on, however, is that cory pellets are not just for corys! I'm going to look into some general pellets or something next time I get to a shop.
AquaEl 60x30x30: 7 x Male Guppy, 2 x Hillstream Loach, 2 x Albino Cory, 2 x Bronze Cory, 1 x Golden Eyed Dwarf Cichlid
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5091 times
Been liked: 3436 times

I haven't used flakes for a number of years now.
The Tetra Prima mini granules as Stephen recommends are my staples (for the fish, not me....), together with a mixed frozen assortment (does that say the same thing twice?), and pellets/wafers for extras for the corys and BNs.
Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

I use the Tetra mini granules as shown by Stephen, and Fluval Bug Bites Micro Granules. I am going to get some larger sized Bug Bites as well for the larger fish as they seem popular :)

I currently have a huge tub of JMC pellets, the ones I got are really big, so I crush some with a rolling pin to feed the smaller fish as well with them. I believe it was mentioned that they aren't making them anymore. They still sell them on Amazon, but they come loose instead of in the tub. Plus they are twice the price I paid for mine :@

TBH I have a ridiculous amount of different foods for my fish. If anyone wants me to send a bag of JMC pellets after lock down let me know and I will get my OH to pop them in the post :)
Fishkeeping - 4yrs

Aqua One 405lt 5ft tank - Sailfin pleco, Rainbow shark, albino/bronze cory x 11, 7 x Clown Loach
Filtration 2 x Aqua One Aquis 1050 externals, 1 x Ocellaris 850 external

Juwel 120lt 2ft - 12 x Cherry Barb, 10 x Panda Cory, 1 x Albino Bristlenose Pleco
Filtration Fluval 205
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Fishtales wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:32 am
I currently have a huge tub of JMC pellets, the ones I got are really big, so I crush some with a rolling pin to feed the smaller fish as well with them.
First @Ruth , now you....when did rolling pins become an essential tool for fishkeeping? ;)