1st planted aquarium - Cycling CO2 PH advice needed

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
vpdanas
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 24 times

Also, do people split their light-on period to morning and evening? Or just 6/8 hours in one (whatever time of day that might be preferred)
emma01

you could get yourself a uv steralisor and run it for 3 weeks there about 26 quid on ebay its a internal filter with a uv light built in i got one myself it does the job if u interested i could give u the item number ..
vpdanas

emma01 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 13:15 pm you could get yourself a uv steralisor and run it for 3 weeks there about 26 quid on ebay its a internal filter with a uv light built in i got one myself it does the job if u interested i could give u the item number ..
Thanks , I looked in to UV but first want to see if the new location and better light management....and plants of course....resolve that as a general issue. Wouldn't mind a snidge of algae for the snails and shrimp in the tank. Plus did read UV can kill off beneficial stuff...so i'll defo put that idea in my plan B.

Mostly interested in experience with CO2 and PH and finding that balance
vpdanas

Martinspuddle wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:27 am Greetings. :] & welcome AF-UK

pH won't harm your plants only extremes might detrimental. I have never used Tropica system 60 CO2 kit on my high tech aquariums in the past but I will say that sort of system can be a little unstable, say if your forget to fill the dosing chamber one day. Fertilise daily, better the plants get a constant supply rather than one large hit per week. With injected CO2 you need a total volume of your aquarium to be circulating ten per hour, so might an idea to add a circulation pump. Lights, I wouldn't take them much over six hours for the time being.

Where in the country are you, what species of plants do you have, is your supply soft or hardwater, some test results would help and we like pictures here, @Gingerlove05 is always pestering members for pictures of aquariums ...he says, tongue in cheek. :grin:
Thanks so much for the reply. Keen to learn and create best environment from more experienced.
@Martinspuddle I’ll fert 1 squirt daily from now instead of 7 in 1 go. It’s Tropica Premium. Tbh was topping 1 squirt with the water changes Every other so makes sense.
Yes, I intend to get a self-creating co2 supply but delivery was way off so the system 60 was just in the theory of some is better than none. I will defo look in to power head to assist circulation as my filter circulates 770 lph and not 10 times (1000lph) as you recommend.
Plants ... Eleocharis A mini as main foreground carpet, with some Monte Carlo, moss on hardscape; Ech Quadricostarus, Reinecki Rosanervig, Micro Pteropus, crypto undulata as MID Section and Hygro Corymbosa & Reinicki Pink as back section stems. Eleocharis is going a little yellow after a week so hoping better fert distribution will help (thinking of stopping filter for a few mins too in hope it get down to it .. thoughts?)

As I say, drop checker blue but ph low so contradiction there.
I’m in Wirral. Water generally harder but established tank ph around 7.2 but no co2 and an aerator so am I right in thinking with co2 ph will always be a little lower? Or will it up with cycle progression. Should I aerate overnight to ensure o2 for future fish and rid tank of excess co2 not used that day?! Or is that just wasting it? Pic attached as requested.
emma01

a uv steralisor does not kill off beneficial bacteria thats just hear say ive used before with fish in and never had a problem but it will defo kill off all kinds of algae but with your algae problem if u got too much light and phosphates in your tap water and too much fertalizor that adds to more algae build up and if u have only a few plants in your aquarium i would not even run co2 but everyone is different..
emma01

i would say with your lights 6 hours aday for now until your tank gets established buy your self a timer save you the hassle of turning on and off..
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1422 times
Been liked: 3421 times

emma01 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:56 pm there is a lot benefit from useing cycle water from a cycled tank cause it has all the beneficial bacteria in the water column to seed your filter media but each to there own everyone has there own opinion ...😃
There is hardly any beneficial bacteria in water from an established aquarium.
Most of the beneficial bacteria is in the filter itself with some on the rocks and décor.
Adding established media from an established filter will help seed a new filter but the water itself has hardly any value.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 10 x Cory sterbai 49 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)