Whats this fish!

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
Stephen
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has Liked: 75 times
Been liked: 376 times

Re: Whats this fish!

Post by Stephen »

Hi Scott
ill take back the jag tomorrow and swap for a severum
I think taking the jaguar back is a good & sensible move.
A severum would be better as the water parameters required are similar to that of the oscar.

Black Ghost made some good points and is a knowledgeable member.
Sometimes we put things over that are taken not quite as intended, I'm the same at times.
At the end of the day the advise given is with the welfare of the fish and the continued enjoyment of fish keeping in mind.
No one wants to see a stressed fish or a stressed fish keeper.

I wish I had a second big aquarium where I could keep oscars and/or severums, I really like both fish.
I saw a big aquarium at an LFS whilst on my travels about 2 years ago, the aquarium must of been around 1000L+ and had several large fish species which included oscars and severums.
The severums were around 6 inches whilst the oscars were a little bigger at around 8 inches, beautiful fish with lovely colouration and markings. I could only admire the aquarium.

All the best

Stay safe & healthy everyone
600L - Rio Guaporé themed
7 x Biotodoma Cupido, 4 x Laetacara dorsigera, 2 x Apistogramma trifasciata (wild), 20 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 25 x Prionobrama filigera, 18 x Corydoras sterbai, 11 x Corydoras caudimaculatus

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has Liked: 1123 times
Been liked: 1060 times

Post by plankton »

I don't think anyone on here tries to condemn anyone else, the mods try very hard not to let that happen. (Unlike a lot of American sites)
All the points @black ghost made are valid. At no point did he say "you've done it wrong" he just pointed out the problems you may (well, ok, probably will) face. ;)
We care about fish here and try to help people to learn from their mistakes.
I didn't see any pointy fingers in what was written, but I accept that sometimes the written word doesn't quite come across as the spoken. ;)
Some of use could use more smilies to tone the posts, but we do get used to each other's "quirks".
Enjoy the forum. :D

black ghost
Has Liked: 38 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by black ghost »

I sometimes add a smiley for that very reason, but I think sometimes it can come across as a bit patronising.... depending on how what I’ve written is perceived.

Scott.turner28

Post by Scott.turner28 »

Thanks no worries, yeh i got a severum today.. took the jag back. wanted to ask about it because its abit discoloured which i couldnt tell in store. Has it been treated badly? Im feeding quality pelets and tetra pro colour so hopefully i can get it back to normal, here is the picture. And thanks for info on black ghost ill have it right soon for him, he is coming out more with the floating plants now. And in regards to the comments yeh im sorry i was been abit touchy, i just try really hard and take it serious as i can, yes some of the things i do arent the most logical or following guidelines but i learn from mistakes and always keep fishes welfare at my best interest. I havent had any deaths in a long time and all my fish seem healthy ( assides a couple ive got from the store ive been to recently as you can see in picture)! Thanks

Last edited by Scott.turner28 on Sun May 24, 2020 14:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott.turner28

Post by Scott.turner28 »

P.s its supposed to be the red and gold one said the woman in the shop.. doesnt look it though ha

Scott.turner28

Post by Scott.turner28 »

I also may as well point out whilst in the store, i saw a blood parrot kept with a group of green terror and jack dempsey. Is this incorrect? Because it has a huge bite mark in its back which has healed, and was looking very unhappy hiding in a cave. I also took that off them, it was up for 20pound but only paid 5 due to the damage.i have seen on google lots of positives with keeping severum and parrots. Whats peoples thoughts?i wont get touchy i promise haha. Heres the picture of its back!

black ghost
Has Liked: 38 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by black ghost »

The Severum will colour up as it matures, but there’s no guarantee it’ll be as red as the one in the picture. There are ‘high grade’ ones and ‘low grade’ ones, ie some are more colourful than others.

I’m not commenting on the parrot because I loathe nearly all hybrids, especially the deformed ones, as all these parrots are (the mouth). I’m pleased you’ve rescued it though. The damaged back shouldn’t affect its health.

:)

F3l1ss
Has Liked: 47 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by F3l1ss »

This doesn't sound like a great LFS?!
Small tank - 60L - 4 Iriatherina werneri, 4 Celestichthys erythromicron, 1 small Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi - upgrading to 125L
Big tank - ~500L - 1 Mastacembelus erythrotaenia, 17 mixed rainbows (Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi, Melanotaenia trifasciata, Melanotaenia boesemani)

Stephen
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has Liked: 75 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Stephen »

I really like severum but have never kept them ;)
Glad you got yours Scott. ::thumbu::
600L - Rio Guaporé themed
7 x Biotodoma Cupido, 4 x Laetacara dorsigera, 2 x Apistogramma trifasciata (wild), 20 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 25 x Prionobrama filigera, 18 x Corydoras sterbai, 11 x Corydoras caudimaculatus

Scott.turner28

Post by Scott.turner28 »

Cheers stephen, and Cheers again for all comments everyone ! Thumbs up