A tank for Lauren

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

Just grabbed this from fleabay for £30. There was a eheim pickup 60 included however I don't plan on using that.

Approx 50*25*30 or 40litreish and it's going to be set up as a Betta tank as a new house present for my GFs youngest daughter and partner.(don't panic she does know sort of, just not necessarily expecting it until Christmas.

Everything I need is on order so will be starting work on it next week.

Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

Ooh lovely Mike. I bet she will be over the moon with it :D

Will you be getting the betta or will she be picking her own? :)
Fishkeeping - 4yrs

Aqua One 405lt 5ft tank - Sailfin pleco, Rainbow shark, albino/bronze cory x 11, 7 x Clown Loach
Filtration 2 x Aqua One Aquis 1050 externals, 1 x Ocellaris 850 external

Juwel 120lt 2ft - 12 x Cherry Barb, 10 x Panda Cory, 1 x Albino Bristlenose Pleco
Filtration Fluval 205
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

Already been discussed, she trusts my judgement :)
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

the original "plan" was that I was going to be getting a cube same as the one Barney is in sometime at the end of October and get it fully up and running so she (and her BF) could have it for Christmas (she has kept fish previously as well as working with monkeys in South America as part of her University degree).

But now they're moving into a new place at the end of the month so the revised plan is to see if I can get this cycled and ready for when we go down there second week of August. (She's in Long Eaton moving to Ilkeston, we're up in Wiganish)

I am aware that her water is harder than mine (the new place is 11.5 Clarkes, ours is is 3 , both our PHs are between 7 & 7.5) ) so If I do stick with the plan of getting the Betta (and maybe one or 3 mates) up here then after they've been transported she will need to do small regular water changes to reacclimatise them.

Ah yes transporting them, that will need a little thinking .

Its only about a 90 minute drive o its eaither bag them or pop them in a plastic tub with the foam filter I'll be using powered by a battery pack. Drain the tank, pack with bubblewrap and cover with clingfilm.

OR

Drain about a third of the water out, put the tank inside a larger plastic container, seal with cling film and transport them in the water hoping the substarte (going for soil and sand with live plants) doesn't get too disturbed.

I'm probably going to go with Pan A :)

Or it might all change depending on how well the cycling goes ;o)
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Would it not be possible to cycle the tank but then get a betta from nearer to where they are going to move to? My thinking is that perhaps any betta from a local aquatic store, if there is one, might already be acclimatised to the slightly harder water.
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

so the original rationale was to have it all up and runbning and be 110% happy that everything was hunky dory given If I need to I have other tanks here) eg any issues between the Betta & potentail tank mate(s)

That said it is getting a bit tight. Lets say I start cycling on the 7th then based on Sunnyside that took 25 days so I'm up to the start of August iof all goes well.

I havent ruled out the possibility of getting fish more local to her, sure I've read some good reviews about Wharf Aquatics here
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5069 times
Been liked: 3427 times

I was going to say that Wharf isn't too far from Ilkeston. They do keep their bettas in small separate "jars", but only for limited time and are well looked after. (well they did last time I was there)
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

Looks nice inside :)
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1419 times
Been liked: 3416 times

Nice buy Mike ::thumb::
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 50 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)