Treated. Nervous now!

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 873 times
Been liked: 1276 times

Treated with Cupramine at 1.30pm. correct dosage, all the fish are now close to the top for some reason. Don't look like they are gasping but it's odd behaviour as they usually live on the bottom.

Is this the copper reducing the oxygen? I have loads of surface agitation from 2 Fx4s and ehiem oxygenator
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Is this Waterlife Cupramin? Protozin is much better for Whitespot. Cupramin is one to use if all else fails as it’s very powerful. Have you checked ammonia and nitrite?
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

black ghost wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 16:48 pm Is this Waterlife Cupramin? Protozin is much better for Whitespot. Cupramin is one to use if all else fails as it’s very powerful. Have you checked ammonia and nitrite?
Levels were all good before treatment, not worth testing now as it'll give false readings or so the instructions say. I have to do another dose in 48 hours and then keep testing the copper level and top up over the next 14 days as and when
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

It's far worse now, the wife did the treatment. Somehow a decimal point got lost in translation and 75ml of Cupramine went in instead of 7.5ml.
I can't water change as you can't put prime in with the Cupramine.
I'm pretty sure my fish are all going to succumb. After my ridiculous mistake of leaving the filters off and now this mistake, if my fish die, I'm done, closing tank down and giving up and selling up. I clearly aren't cut out for keeping fish
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5469 times
Been liked: 2683 times

I would do a massive change and start the dosing of the meds tomorrow instead, at least it gives the fish a chance as an overdose of that size will surely be fatal if you dont do anything.
Don’t loose heart Paul, it can be a steep learning curve at the start :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Gingerlove05 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 17:48 pm I would do a massive change and start the dosing of the meds tomorrow instead, at least it gives the fish a chance as an overdose of that size will surely be fatal if you dont do anything.
Don’t loose heart Paul, it can be a steep learning curve at the start :)
Can't change the water as I can't add prime so it'd be chlorine water going in. Apparently prime will make the copper far more potent
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I'm devastated that I've made such a stupid mistake after making one just a few days ago.
I have a copper testing kit coming tomorrow, I think my only play is to let the copper level dropped to the level it should be to kill the ich and maintain it at that level for the 14 days to ensure the ich is dead and gone.
Just got to pray the fish survive the heavy dose. I think it's around 10x what it should be.
The Cupramine bottle says you should redose the full amount after 48 hours which would indicate the copper levels will drop quite rapidly and then after redose just add as and when to maintain levels. I will test tomorrow but won't add anything until the level is acceptable
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5469 times
Been liked: 2683 times

But if your doing a large water change it will take the meds out with the water, so there wouldn’t be anything for the prime to react with.
You could use boiling water as long as your water is chlorinated not chloraminated as chlorine dissipates when water is boiled, but i dont think chloramine does. But you would have to wait for it to cool.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
codheadjohn
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 126 times

turn your filter off, and do a massive water change. Maybe do it twice so you remove basically all of the meds. Then dose prime before turning the filters back on. Wait a couple of days and do the correct amount of meds. If the fish are already showing signs of stress, they're probably not going to make it so you might as well try it.

Even if you kill your filter bacteria a bit, use stability to boost it up should be better than what you have right now. Chloramine isn't very common in the UK, so the chlorine should gas off fairly quickly