Question on powerheads

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

When does a filter become too powerful / too much for the size of tank?

I've been looking at the Fluval filters including the FX series but they seem far, far too big for my requirements with a tank size of 1000 ltrs stated. Plus which fairly sure something like the FX4 wouldn't fit in the cabinet.

Or there are the 07 series - the 407 is for 150-500 ltrs and has a turnover of 1450 l/ph?

https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/fluval-07-external-filter

I like a few of the Eheim filters as well but they seem aimed at far larger tanks.

https://eheim.com/en_GB/aquatics/techno ... l-3-1200xl

Equally there's the Maidenhead own brand - Aquamanta? - and I've seen a few good reviews for Betta external canister filters.

Some of my colleagues think keeping fish is easy!

Ideally if I were to upgrade I need to be able to add as much of the existing media to the new filter as possible regardless of the brand.
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

You can't over-filter. You just need something that doesn't reach washing machine proportions. ;)
If you have a spraybar, why not try turning off the air block at the back of the tank and see whether the flow around is better?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

As @plankton says, over filtering isn't a problem but too much flow can be. Don't forget that you can reduce the flow by using a longer spray bar with bigger holes.
That being said, I'd go for a filter that is somewhere in the middle of the tank range its recommended for.

I had a laugh with my old one a while back. I thought *well its old so its no doubt lost a bit of poke over the years* boy was I wrong! It's an old Superfish Aquapro 200 and is rated for a 100-200L tank. I put it on a 3 foot ( around 100L give or take ) tank and ripped it straight off. It litterally turned the tank into rapids.... The only fish that would be ok in it would of been borneo suckers! :D
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

plankton wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:42 am You can't over-filter. You just need something that doesn't reach washing machine proportions. ;)
If you have a spraybar, why not try turning off the air block at the back of the tank and see whether the flow around is better?
It isn't, unfortunately. The air bubble things are a recent addition, I only added them a couple of weeks ago. The spray bar has been the main source of water movement to this point since the tank started running in Feb.

I've tried pointing the spray bar at a few different angles but it seems not to make much difference. The main problem was my opening the lid for a water change without turning off the filter first and spraying water around when the bar was pointing up towards the surface. .. 😂

Hmm. OK. I'll have a look in the local LFSs over the weekend and see what I come up with.
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Hmm, I really don't get it why the flow would be insufficient from your filter. Your water surface is clear - no floating plants or overgrown stem plants - so it gets movement, the spray bar is at the back pointing towards the front, giving a nice rolling movement.
In my 200ltr tank I have the Fluval 306, no air stones at all, and plenty of plant cover. Just need to make sure I keep the area in front of the spray bar free from plants and that's it.

Is it possible that the spray bar itself is simply clogged up or that the pipes in and out of the filter need cleaning?
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

Spray bar looks clear but potentially the hoses need looking at... That'll be a fun job.... Eeek. I can see minor flooding in my future!
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

WinterRose73 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 15:13 pm Spray bar looks clear but potentially the hoses need looking at... That'll be a fun job.... Eeek. I can see minor flooding in my future!
:D :D Its a hot weekend - you might enjoy the chance to cool off a bit :D :D
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

Might as well get in the tank! 😏