Is this Columnaris please?

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

As VM said, most of the beneficial bacterial colonies live in the filter but also on surfaces such as decorations and the substrate. By removing the substrate you chucked out some of your bacteria.
However, you would have had still colonies in the filter, which would have been great. The point VM now makes is without a source of ammonia your bacteria will starve, very quickly. By the time you added your betta, it seems, your bacterial colonies had died off and he may have suffered ammonia burns. It would have been better to put him into the tank very shortly after you had rehomed your goldfish.

Before putting any new fish into the tank, just make sure you get yourself a proper testing kit and cycle your filter properly, so it can cope with any new fish. Alternatively, if you know someone locally with a fish tank, ask them for gunk from their filter so you can 'seed' yours (basically kickstart the different bacterial colonies) but make sure you feed them a source of ammonia.

We all make mistakes sometimes or think we're doing something useful and then things go wrong. All of us have been there. Hope you get it sorted now :)
waverley
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 18 times

Thank you Ric. Yes I am understanding what VM says. Living on the Isle of Wight I'm probably a bit slower than you overners!!!!
I take it your saying the NT LAB water kits are rubbish. When your getting good readings you assume all's well. Even my aquarium shop test gave zero ammonia and Nitrites, the day before he passed, that's what has confused me., still does. Would appreciate an explanation as to why.
Unfortunately there was the time delay due to the lock down.
Thank you all for your help and advice, at least I've learnt a valuable lesson, should I decide to start again beginning with AMMONIA!
Hopefully my little boy is swimming free in his puddle, a million miles away from me.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 1831 times

NT liquid test is generally considered pretty good. Were you testing at the same time every day? Pre/post feeding?
Betta do have low bioload so it maybe didn’t register and you may have had enough dormant bacteria that they were feeding after a few weeks. It’s certainly a puzzler because it was the “obvious” thing to jump out at me.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
waverley

Thanks VickingMummy,
Good to know NT Liquid test is good. Sorry to say I tested once weekly only, after I'd fed, and before water change in the morning (one week 25% following week 50% with gravel vacuming etc) I always "finger" fed him, so it's very unlikely there was any food waste.
I changed the substrate from gravel, to fine gravel / sand, as I thought that would be better for a betta. Must admit I didn't find it very easy to clean, although there was probably very little waste compared to 2 growing gold fish. Also I did rake over with a fork in case of air pockets.
I had him for a little over 8 weeks, and he just seemed fine, no erratic swimming or gasping for breath, no lethargy. Every thing was fine Sunday evening, then it all began Monday morning, when I noticed the "injury" and he didn't want his pellets (Hikari Betta Bio-gold). For the following 3 days, I did daily 50% water changes using Prime, as I always have, plus the medication. The reason I asked could it have been Columnitus as I understand theres a strain which starts internally and kills within 24 hours, although he did last a little longer. Also it seems odd those "injuries under his body appeared in the space of a few hours.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 1831 times

It’s hard to say really....I suspect you *might* have had fluctuations within the week that *might* have contributed but I don’t think any of us will be able to say exactly what happened. I’d still be inclined to say a mix of things all culminated (especially as some of the “injuries” appeared when in a bare tank). I think sadly it’s a case of chalking it up to experience, learning from the whole situation and now you know a bit more for future fish re cycling the filter, regular testing
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
waverley

Yes you could be right, a mix of things. Thank you for your advice.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5066 times
Been liked: 3427 times

Sorry for your loss. :(
They definitely look like burns - I had a betta go the same way and have put guards on all my heaters now.
Plastic plants don't help with bettas, as they tend to have sharp bits that catch the fins, but I don't think it looks like that sort of damage, more of a "heater cuddle".
waverley

Thank you. Yep that has been mentioned, and will most definitely be putting a guard on my heater. Certainly a learning kerb, and grateful for the advice.
Has certainly made me re think things through, and fine tune my husbandry routine.

I'm lucky to have found this site to turn to but just one final question, at least for the moment....

I don't personally know any fish keepers, so I've had to learn through various internet sites. There's a lot you learn but then a lot you don't, i.e. heater guards!
If there was one book you would treat as your bible on Tropical Fish keeping in particular Bettas, which would it be?

Thank you all for your help
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5066 times
Been liked: 3427 times

I've not read a book on bettas......
...but I did write this.....
https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... f=11&t=224
;)
waverley

Thank you for the feeding advice. Not sure my little guy would have agreed with the fasting day!, although I did just feed him once a day per week with a couple of pellets, but yes...... I know I shouldn't have. I did on several occasions see him pooing, which looked roundish and brown.

Do you feed the freeze dried worms, or should I feed live ones? Obviously with only the one fish, I don't want to be buying vast quantities, although no doubt my pond carps would probably appreciate a treat.