Help!! What is this!? Unexpected guest...

Loaches
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

Hi I bought some planted java fern from Pets at a Home earlier. Setting up the quarantine tank so have just emptied out the bag into the sink and found this little beast had hitched a ride:

The poor thing is probably completely terrified as I couldn't net it, as the water was draining and it was speeding about, so it ended up in the drainer thing. Managed to tip it into a net so I've literally just dumped it in the tank rather than it die. It's hiding under a piece of sponge in the tank...

I've no idea what it is - help please? Some sort of loach or catfish type thing? I don't want to stress it out by trying to get more pics... Sorry they're not the best.

Will it be OK on gravel? Or should I put it in the main tank where there's sand?
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
piker
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 192 times

Yoyo loach?
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Some loach type - dwarf chain loach or a small yoyo loach? Did you see any others in the tank where the java fern was in?

I do believe that either would be better off in a group, so you might have to decide whether you can keep this one... Nice to have a little surprise :)
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

In all honesty I didn't look, I just told the chap I was after some java fern on wood. Whoops.

I'll have to go back tomorrow but if I have an idea of what it is at least I can do some research in the meantime.

I've got media from the big external filter in the small filter; the heater is up and running and there are some plants in there. I guess it'll be OK overnight? Whatever it is...!
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

Just had a quick look at the P@H site and it looks like they only have two types of loaches so it's got to be a yoyo.

Edited to add: Just gone to check quickly on the new arrival, and I think it is less stressed as its markings are much clearer. Definitely a yoyo. Light background with darker stripey bits.

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4255 times
Been liked: 3918 times

Yo yo or Pakistani loach (Botia almorhae) ....nice freebie, grows to about 4"inches, sometimes a little larger and eats snails for a living. :] Should like all loaches be kept in groups, can you return it?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

@piker and @Ric thanks for the comments 😁 good guesses from less than clear pictures of a very stressed and pale fish!

Not surprised as it ended up in very limited water in the sink. Thank goodness I had the catcher thing in, or it would have gone down the drain 😱😱

@@Martinspuddle I think I'll have to, even if I upgrade to the Eheim 240 it's not a long enough tank for a group of these from what I'm reading. And I'd need at least 6? Although it's cute from what I've seen, tucked into the java as it is. It hasn't learnt it's lesson lol.

I'll try and take it back tomorrow but would I need to get a bag (like the ones you bring them home in) or would a container be OK?
Ricrhys
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 469 times
Been liked: 560 times

I used a food waste bag the council give us, and then popped that in a tub.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4255 times
Been liked: 3918 times

Ricrhys wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:50 am I used a food waste bag the council give us, and then popped that in a tub.
Er, try it first. The bags that our Council give us don't last very long with water in them. :dodgy2:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Just use what you have available. I have used clean jam jars or even take-away containers before or a small bucket. As long as the container is clean and well rinsed..