New Tank Log: VikingMummy

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 1832 times

mantis wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 21:19 pm Nice to hear you have no losses :) Beautiful tank and a really nice choice of music! What do you have floating on your tank?
It’s salvinia I got from Vale! Does better in low flow tanks I think as it’s looking a bit tatty after just a couple of weeks in here, but I like to have it there as cover.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Andys temperate tank wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 21:26 pm Looking good VM.

Have your Cory's been ok with the dragon stone?
So far as I can tell. They zip around all over the place and I can only assume I still have 12 because I haven’t found any of their corpses (found every other one so far). I see them grazing all over the place; sand, rock, filter sponge, salvinia roots, veg, plants....crazy wee things!
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5072 times
Been liked: 3429 times

Looks lovely! :)
Keep your eye on the corys' barbels with the sharp stone. ;)
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1420 times
Been liked: 3418 times

Nice video VM ::thumbu::
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 50 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Water change again today and counted all but the cories again. There’s only 1 golden rummy giving me coniptions because it doesn’t school with the rest as standard....but it’s feeding so 🤞🏻. A few of the ottos are definitely feeding on lettuce, cucumber and courgette so i’m able to slightly relax. And Ghost & Pumpkin are still looking good.

VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

As per other desperate post, the golden rummy has succumbed with one slightly bulgy eye but zero other signs of ill health. Tank treated with 50 drops Esha 2000, 40 drops Esha Exit (sufficient for 200L given decor etc). Tested parameters again, just to be quadruple certain and still 0/0, not even the tiniest trace of anything off. So have to assume a dodgy batch of rummies and just hope they don’t spread whatever it might be to the rest of the tank. The ottos are ottos so I was prepared to lose a couple, and the barbs were bad luck. But 8 fish in 9 days is just depressing when I see people keeping the wrong fish in the wrong conditions, feeding the wrong foods, uncycled tanks etc....I’m doing everything by the book (or by the experience gained here anyway). That’s what i’m holding onto. Definitely keeping the 54L tank now as it’s a better size for quarantine than the 29L and not a single fish goes into that tank without 6 weeks quarantine first. I’m not going through this again (this is essentially a quarantine tank and i’m Wishing I hadn’t transferred the barbs and gourami quite so quickly).

mantis
Has liked: 691 times
Been liked: 252 times

VikingMummy2015 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 20:36 pm As per other desperate post, the golden rummy has succumbed with one slightly bulgy eye but zero other signs of ill health. Tank treated with 50 drops Esha 2000, 40 drops Esha Exit (sufficient for 200L given decor etc). Tested parameters again, just to be quadruple certain and still 0/0, not even the tiniest trace of anything off. So have to assume a dodgy batch of rummies and just hope they don’t spread whatever it might be to the rest of the tank. The ottos are ottos so I was prepared to lose a couple, and the barbs were bad luck. But 8 fish in 9 days is just depressing when I see people keeping the wrong fish in the wrong conditions, feeding the wrong foods, uncycled tanks etc....I’m doing everything by the book (or by the experience gained here anyway). That’s what i’m holding onto. Definitely keeping the 54L tank now as it’s a better size for quarantine than the 29L and not a single fish goes into that tank without 6 weeks quarantine first. I’m not going through this again (this is essentially a quarantine tank and i’m Wishing I hadn’t transferred the barbs and gourami quite so quickly).
That's exactly how I felt when my corys started dropping like flies. I never had so many losses so quickly. Even when I was a teenager with tanks where I just threw any and every fish into uncycled tanks. The tank died off eventually but still. I didn't know anything about fishkeeping or the science behind it back then. You're doing everything you can though. No consolation but you'll just have to hope it works itself out at this stage, you've done everything you can as far as I can see it. Got my fingers crossed for you :)
F3l1ss
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 323 times

Sorry you've had such a hard time of it recently x
Small tank - 125L - 7 Corydoras sterbai, 2 Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

So sorry for all your losses.

I keep wondering whether there could be anything in your substrate or perhaps an electrical fault somewhere but nothing really fits...just hope whatever it is will peter out.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

@Ric substrate is new (unipac Limpopo sand, thoroughly washed, and Tropica soil from the cycled but unused 54L). Fluval heater came with the tank but was unused, as was the external filter. The internal filter had been used and I have it a clean with tap water and one of my tank only sponges. Wood, rocks, plants all from reputable sources. Cories are all fine, honeys are unaffected so it does make me suspect dodgy batch of rummies, potentially additional stress when imported etc from COVID delays/issues.
Thankfully no new corpses or issues today. Everyone is swimming well, feeding etc. No fish lurking on their own or anything either so 🤞🏻. I added the second day dose of Esha 2000 (24 drops) and Esha Exit (20 drops). I also got myself stocked with Melafix and Aquarium salt for any future issues. Never used aquarium salt but I know a lot of people swear by it.