Pygmy golden swordtail

Viviparous or Live bearing fish - Mollies, Platties, Guppies
jammedfool
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 301 times

My LFS has 3x pygmy Golden swordtail (apparently all male but no sword tails)
I can't seem to find these on SF, wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

The shop was also selling swordtail (listed max 6cm) as xiphophorus sp.
In another tank, they had wagtail swordtail at 10cm...
What would you suggest as min tank size for either please?
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
Pegler89
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

I went to give my male swordtail away. The guy told me he had an appropriate tank. On arrival it looked too small. 50l approximately. I couldn’t give it to him. It looked too small. Maybe 80l+ for Pygmy imo. They certainly need a larger space than platies

Also I believe males will develop their ‘swords’ if they become the dominant male.
Look at the anal fin if you are unsure. Females have a fan shape fin and males, well they look a little phallic.
jammedfool

I think they were xiphophorus pygmaeous, tiny like an endler size. Labelled "rare"
The storeperson said shed actually breed them herself and would do the 3 males for £10 as noone seems to want them. I didn't go for them but at the till she mentioned putting them in with platies and 'seeing what happens'

The others were standard swordtail, various green/brown/silver and orange/black. -6cm max
Then a completely separate tank had red/black only and were labelled "wagtail swordtail". -10cm max

Is there any truth to the 6cm/10cm? Or have they labelled wrong as xiphophorus sp. Comes up with platies? I know they're related and potentially interbreed but perhaps platies come in a sword tail variety (though not proper swordtails?)

My tank is about 80cm long and I feel like I saw that's too short for swordtails.

I'm sort of taking every but of advice with a pinch of salt (pardon the pun) at the moment from the store now as they did seem to be selling just anything (even rams which they admitted would prefer hard water but I could try in my smaller tank.. even with the current stock I have)

That said they have some lovely stock and majority look healthier than other stores around. They have a load of stock which I've seen on this forum as "rare finds" e.g limia which I had considered
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
jammedfool

Pegler89 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 23:20 pm Also I believe males will develop their ‘swords’ if they become the dominant male.
Look at the anal fin if you are unsure. Females have a fan shape fin and males, well they look a little phallic.
Right, she seemed to know what she was looking for in the anal fin, she said she'd love one of them to be female but that one seemed to be just a dull colour male. Guess she checked the anal fins.
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

Another point in her advice that's wrong - Rams prefer soft water.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

If they are Xiphophorus pygmaeus and you can house them, I'd get these little livebearers as their not available on the market very often.

britishlivebearerassociation
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

I wouldn't mix them with platies though - they will cross-breed with other xiphophorus species.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

jammedfool wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 17:36 pm My LFS has 3x pygmy Golden swordtail (apparently all male but no sword tails)
I can't seem to find these on SF, wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

which LFS is this?
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Standard domestic Swordtails grow to 15cms (female) and 10+ cms (male, without the sword).
jammedfool

BigBen wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:50 am Another point in her advice that's wrong - Rams prefer soft water.
Sorry, yes I mistyped late last night, she did say they prefer soft water (mine is ~12dGH)
Martinspuddle wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:09 am If they are Xiphophorus pygmaeus and you can house them, I'd get these little livebearers as their not available on the market very often.

britishlivebearerassociation
I wonder if she'll have more fry any time soon, they might go in either tank if they stay smallish. These are all male, but she was doing 3 for £15 (1m+2f) before
My 40L has been really stable so far, no spikes of any kind and at weekly water changes the nitrates are barely registering... might be nice for a little more activity/variety

fr499y wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:11 am
jammedfool wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 17:36 pm My LFS has 3x pygmy Golden swordtail (apparently all male but no sword tails)

which LFS is this?
Reefkeeper rugby (MA)
plankton wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:01 am I wouldn't mix them with platies though - they will cross-breed with other xiphophorus species.
Yeah I wouldnt want to if they're a rare find
black ghost wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:33 am Standard domestic Swordtails grow to 15cms (female) and 10+ cms (male, without the sword).
Thanks - I guess not suited to either of my tanks, despite the store "advice"...
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss