Tackling BBA

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 530 times
Been liked: 310 times

Hi folks,

I've got a bit of a BBA issue going on in my tank just now, it seems so be particularly bad on the silicon at the joins of my tank and around the flow of my airstone as you can see.

I'm going to be emptying my tank in the new year to move it during redecorating and was looking for tips on how to go about trying to eradicate the stuff.

Hydrogen peroxide seems to be the go-to but I'm a wee bit unsure how to apply it whether I can:

Use it with a cloth to wipe the silicon down maybe?
Do some sort of dip & rinse for the wood/decor?
It doesn't appear to be on my plants should I maybe just get fresh ones with the new re-scape?

Or if the tank will be sitting empty for a few days is it likely to dry and die out by itself?

Any experiences/ideas appreciated as always.

Thanks
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

You can use a cloth with the H2O2, and you can just dip the plants in a solution as well to make sure there are no algae spores on them rather than spending out on replacements.
Use either 3% or 6%, no stronger.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

What circulation do you have in your aquarium and what is your waterchange regime?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Sixo
Posting Legend

Martinspuddle wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 20:52 pm What circulation do you have in your aquarium and what is your waterchange regime?
I have the upgraded 1000lph pump in the internal filter, flowing out on one side from the filter outlet and a small airstone working away at the other side.

I do approximately a 30% weekly waterchange. I don't use CO2. I'm in a soft water area.

With me emptying the tank out it's a good opportunity to try and learn how to make things better for all things plant-related when I'm re-scaping.
Martinspuddle

Small airstone, why?

Apart from the airline, where else is it appearing?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sixo
Posting Legend

Martinspuddle wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 19:15 pm Small airstone, why?

Apart from the airline, where else is it appearing?
Because I wasn't sure if I was getting enough surface agitation when I had a couple of struggling fish a few years back. Just kept it running in the tank ever since.

The BBA is on the glass on both sides of the tank glass, on the wood, on the case of the filter itself, bit all over the place.

I don't know if it's just awkward to get the flow right in a corner tank. I doesn't bother me massively, but if I can nuke it when re-doing it then will give it a go.
Martinspuddle

What's the volume of this aquarium?
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

I get spots of BBA growing on the glass at the front where I know there's a reasonable amount of flow but not loads. I'm far from convinced it's a still water problem.
Sixo
Posting Legend

Martinspuddle wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 23:45 pm What's the volume of this aquarium?
It's a Juwel Trigon 190, so probably 150 litres or something?
Sixo
Posting Legend

LookoutTrout wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:17 am I get spots of BBA growing on the glass at the front where I know there's a reasonable amount of flow but not loads. I'm far from convinced it's a still water problem.
Same I feel like it's just something that's found it's way into the tank, just taking the opportunity to see if I can get rid of it while I'm emptying the tank to move it.