Tackling BBA

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Your problem being caused by lack of flow. Forget your internal filter pump, it's LPH just not enough.

150 litre planted aquarium needs a turn over of 10 times the volume, so 1500 litres per hour for your setup.

What you need is a extra circulation pump or better still seeing you have an air pump, add another airstone at the other end and turn the air pump full blast! :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5065 times
Been liked: 3426 times

I have a Trigon 190 with the 1000 pump, and have had loads of algae difficulties, but the flow is more than adequate.
It still took around 18 months to sort out the direction of the water to get rid of cyano.
It still gets BBA, but I do try to get it as I have breeding bristlenoses in there..... ;)
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 284 times

I can’t get rid of BBA tied lots of things , peroxide and everything. But I never dismantled fully. Good flow here , soft water, I get it on the plants mainly, sometimes tiny spots on the glass. I read somewhere it comes on the plants from somewhere- it doesn’t appear out of nowhere. So be careful where you getting new plants from..
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Hiya; not been around much (too much life happening) but with you on the BBA front. Didn’t have any until I upgraded to the Oase 600 filter (which should be ample flow for a 240L!) so I’m not convinced it’s a flow issue at all. Especially as it generally confines itself to particular plant types regardless of where in the tank I place them! Very frustrating as I don’t have the time nowadays to really focus on balancing ferts etc so I’m trying to embrace the natural look 🤦🏽‍♀️. It’s only noticeable when I start looking for it so…
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Think unless your keeping a high tech, show winning Amano type aquarium where every minute is spent tending to your aquarium ...your never going to win. You need to except there will always be some in our aquariums.

If you all to come over to my house to see my aquarium you will find some algaes and yes, I do have some BBA!

Double click to enlarge
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

Mine is like that too, I've given up trying for perfection and as long as my wife doesn't notice then I'm not going to worry about it. It makes life more relaxing.
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 530 times
Been liked: 310 times

Is all Hydrogen Peroxide much of a muchness in terms of brand as long as you get the right percentage? Does it make any difference if it’s food grade or not?

Emptying my tank out for a move this weekend so going to order some.
Pleco Fan
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 209 times

To keep down most types of Algae you need to reduce oxygen, surface agitation and increase Co2, algae hates Co2. The reason you see algae at the outlet pipe is because of the oxygen created by agitation, hope this helps.
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 284 times

Sixo wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 18:35 pm Is all Hydrogen Peroxide much of a muchness in terms of brand as long as you get the right percentage? Does it make any difference if it’s food grade or not?

Emptying my tank out for a move this weekend so going to order some.
Hiya it’s all the same. I discovered best to ask at local pharmacy, I got some in boots for like a pound. If you look on Amazon and stuff is more expensive.
One thing is if you dip plants they will burn. I recently unused cheap bakers brush to apply and it was much better .
Tempted to strip it all too, but not sure how to do it 😂
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 223 times

I would clean as per the above advice and add a circulation pump.
:swim: :swim2: :swim:

NACD OptiWhite Aquarium 140l,
F Zone Stainless Steel 15l filter,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh daylight,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh plants,
AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Twinstar Nano Sterilizer,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.