BigBens Restart.

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1797 times
Been liked: 4261 times

Ah, I missed that bit. They're usually pretty good parents, I'd let nature take its course next time they have fry.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5473 times
Been liked: 2683 times

I’d go with what Fr449y has said.
The parents will look after fry until they’re old enough to leave or the parents decide they want to breed again, in either case they will chase the fry away. You just have to keep an eye out incase they do start chasing them if you want to grow them on. They might still eat the fry at a young stage if they aren’t happy and it might take a couple of tries to get it right, they do this to prevent other fish getting a free meal, and by eating the fry they reuse the energy for the next batch of eggs.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

I suspect with angels, rams and more keyholes in the same tank they will probably become live food anyway. Cory's seemed to be doing a sneaky drive by as well.... Next time I will wait a few more days though before I net them. Got a bit excited this time.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

They’ll eat them if they think they won’t be able to raise them successfully.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Took this this evening. Made me chuckle where it looks like the Pygmy is sitting on his back 😁
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5082 times
Been liked: 3435 times

Space shuttle launch...?? :D
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Hi everyone.

Been away for a little while, but thought I'd check in to see what's going on. I don't have too much to update on as I've been working away a fair bit, so haven't done much, except my mother in law stayed for 10 days and unplugged my big tank so she could charge her iPad without moving... I lost all but 2 CW123's, my Bolivian rams, my trilineatus, 1 keyhole, all lemon tetras and my sultan pleco. Massive restart in the 240 soon, once I'm happy all is well with the filters. I'm still running around 0.5ppm for nitrite and ammonia. I fortunately still have all four of my angels, although they're still a big rough around their fins, and 3 keyholes, so they will be the feature. Lucky to have anything left I think.

On a lighter note, I seen this earlier. WHY, WHEN YOU KNOW, WHY!!!
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2291 times
Been liked: 1951 times

Nice that you still have the tank Ben, totally gutting when something like that wipes out most of a tank, glad you are getting things back on track :happy:
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1797 times
Been liked: 4261 times

Ooft sorry to hear about the losses! Never good when you leave someone else in charge and these things happen.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I've had a heater failure before that killed a lot of fish as well. It's horrid to see. She looks after the dog for us when we are away, and has seemingly been doing this. I should have clocked it as my fluval lights were falling out of sync when we weren't here. The tank stunk, I noticed it when we walked in so I don't know how she didn't notice. Stuck in a place of being absolutely raging angry about it, as I can't see how she didn't know, and it being a genuine mistake. When we go away, I put the food away so she can't do anything like that and knows not to touch the fish tanks.