Advice sought for new (slightly unusual?) project

Request information on fish, corals or other marine aquarium issues.
pcwells

Dear all,

I run a marine science club at my school.

Kelp restoration has grabbed our attention.

We want to cultivate kelp seedlings (sporelings?) - the students will cultivate the young kelp, and then I will transplant them to the sea with the help of my diving buddies.

So, I need to source the appropriate equipment.

As this isn't a display piece, like a normal aquarium, I'd appreciate some advice on the best approach.

We need to keep the water around 10oC - so a chiller will be required.

Kelp needs good water flow, too.

I'm currently looking for a large used aquarium, but wonder whether several smaller tanks would be better? And, if the latter, is there a solution to apply cooling, aeration and flow across all of them from a single system?

I'm also making the assumption that LED hydroponics lamps will be appropriate to the task - please correct me if I'm mistaken there.

I'm aware that the sea water will need to be changed every week - but would also appreciate further tips on nutrition.

Any and all guidance in putting together the most efficient and cost-effective solution would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Pete
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Welcome to AF-UK @pcwells
  • Smaller tanks will require more overall maintenance, Bigger will provide a more stable environment.
  • RODI water would be best but RO as a minimum else you will end up with all sorts of issues with nutrients, unwanted algae etc.
  • Water changes will replenish any nutrients that are used, so should cover that one nicely.
  • As its seaweed/kelp, a standard natural daylight should be more than enough to grow it ( 6500k - 7400k range ) which will include the red/blue's needed.
  • A taller tank would be better suited as kelp in the wild can grow to 45m tall, something around 2ft if you can find one cheaply!
  • Wave makers would solve the flow issue, you can also tweak the flow pattern with these as well.
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

How big are you looking for?
Frame pools are sometimes used to house fish because they are sturdy and much cheaper than aquariums if you don't need glass sides. They also come with filters that are rubbish for people or fish but may be enough for plants.
Do you really need to chill it? Many plants grow faster in warmer temperatures, algae certainly does.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

LookoutTrout wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 16:53 pm Do you really need to chill it? Many plants grow faster in warmer temperatures, algae certainly does.
Yes. Kelp needs temperatures between about 6 and about 14C. There are many families and species of algae, many with exacting requirements.
An aquarium chiller might be the best bet.
pcwells

Thanks, everyone.

I think I've managed to get hold of a 250l marine tank on eBay.

As I'm new to aquaria, can anybody recommend an appropriate filter, cooler and associated nicknacks to keep the water clean, moving and around 10C?

I'm buying this out of my own pocket for a school club, so I'm also conscious of price.

Thanks again,

Pete
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

I wouldn't bother with the filter at all as you aren't keeping live stock. Use some marine sand/gravel and a few wave makers for the flow. A Jecod sow-8 would be more than enough flow for what you need. Chillers aren't cheap and one capable of lowering the temp enough in a heater classroom could set you back a few hundred.
pcwells

Thanks!

I'm tempted to hand the cooling challenge over to my school's engineering club...
pcwells

However, I'm seeing a few Boyu L-075 units on eBay - would one of those be adequate for the job?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

at 250L, should be in the middle of there capability. Again, depends entirely on how hot the room is and how many degrees it needs to drop the temp by. They should be able to cope with a 15*C Drop though.
pcwells

Thanks!!

I believe kelp is good up to 14C, and I can't imagine ambient temperature reaching thirty. :)

Also, will I need an air pump to keep the water aerated?

Sorry - lots of unknowns to mentally juggle.