Tiger barb damage

Barbs, Danios, Rasboras, Sharks, Golfish, Koi.
John Arnold
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 22 times

Hi

Have 120*50*45 tank with about 18 tiger barbs in so aggression not teally a prblem except one poor soul looks like a big part of his bottom jaw os very damage, he is still eating and no infection as yet, do you think he is recoverable or maybe needs putting down

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1792 times
Been liked: 4243 times

Keep up the water changes and he should recover nicely. @Martinspuddle @plankton what medication ( if any ) would you recommend with barbs?
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 2670 times

I’d say melafix as it mild and should help.
Is it me or is he looking a little sunken in the stomach?
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5072 times
Been liked: 3429 times

I agree, there's not much else and it will help prevent secondary infection.
It may heal up, I've seen it before, but keep your eye on it just in case it gets worse.
Fingers crossed for it.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Gingerlove05 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 16:39 pm I’d say melafix as it mild and should help.
Is it me or is he looking a little sunken in the stomach?
Looks a little deformed.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4260 times
Been liked: 3920 times

black ghost wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 19:12 pm Looks a little deformed.
Runt of the litter more like. :dodgy2:
John Arnold wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:52 pm Have 120*50*45 tank with about 18 tiger barbs in so aggression not really a problem except one poor soul looks like a big part of his bottom jaw os very damage, he is still eating and no infection as yet, do you think he is recoverable or maybe needs putting down
I will say, Barbs being Barbs wait till they start spawning, torn fins, plus all sort of bumps and bruises. :]

As for the 'Runt' if this young male is holding his own, feeding and swimming with the others I wouldn't worry too much. Clean water, good diet and a course of Melafix wouldn't harm.

I'm amazed, or go as far as to say very impressed @John Arnold, seeing a live Shrimp in the background with them. Think you must be feeding them far too much! ;]

Can you post a full picture of your Barb aquarium, I love Tiger Barbs!
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
John Arnold

Cheers evwryone, yeah bit of a sunken belly, no other damage to all the others tho, they arw lots of fun to watch, ill see how it goes it looks clean at the moment
John Arnold

Martinspuddle wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 20:45 pm
black ghost wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 19:12 pm Looks a little deformed.
Runt of the litter more like. :dodgy2:
John Arnold wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:52 pm Have 120*50*45 tank with about 18 tiger barbs in so aggression not really a problem except one poor soul looks like a big part of his bottom jaw os very damage, he is still eating and no infection as yet, do you think he is recoverable or maybe needs putting down
I will say, Barbs being Barbs wait till they start spawning, torn fins, plus all sort of bumps and bruises. :]

As for the 'Runt' if this young male is holding his own, feeding and swimming with the others I wouldn't worry too much. Clean water, good diet and a course of Melafix wouldn't harm.

I'm amazed, or go as far as to say very impressed @John Arnold, seeing a live Shrimp in the background with them. Think you must be feeding them far too much! ;]

Can you post a full picture of your Barb aquarium, I love Tiger Barbs!
Haha yeah they are huge shrimps tho, the barb didnt make it, photo attached of tank

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5072 times
Been liked: 3429 times

Sorry to hear that the barb didn't make it. :(
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 2670 times

Sorry for your loss :(
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!