🎝 Roll out the barrel! 🎜

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your ponds.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4260 times
Been liked: 3919 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:53 pm
Seeing as we are unlikely now to move a few years I have a cunning plan. It might involve a half whiskey barrel and be just outside the back door. Just got to work out the volume by ie litres and a possibility of having White Clouds Mountain Minnows in there, maybe even year around!

... watch this space as they say!
I've been wanting a wildlife pond since we moved and was thinking about a raised 6 x 4 foot wooden pond on the patio area. But this idea was soon scuppered by the wife who wants the patio for barbecues and entertaining ...hang on, but no one visits us!? ::eh::

Image Image

Thought I'd might have get a new barrel to be honest as it's been used as a planter for a few years filled with Cara Lilies but holding water, ::think:: hmm.

Image Image

Old house, planted with the Cara Lilies and Ivy. I moved the lilies to the garden and not a moment to soon as they had filled the the old barrel.

Having cleared out the Lilies and compost the old oak timber looking a little worst for wear inside. Did think about buying a liner for it but quite frankly the price of a liner is damn near as much as a new half barrel.

Image Image

I bunged up the drain holes I drilled originally with large corks and 'Milliput' in an attempt to make the base water tight. Started filling and the words 'kitchen colander' sprung to mind at first, water everywhere. I needn't of worried. Over ten days ye olde barrel timbers had swollen up enough to make it water tight. :]

Image Image

Now filled with a rain water and tap mix with added dechlorinator. Planted using aquatic pond soil, I've added the following. Iris ensata hybrid, Marsh marigold (Caltha Palustris) and a dwarf Nymphaea water lily 'Snow Princess' which has white with yellow centred flowers. I've used four new house bricks to raise the main basket, hopefully shouldn't be an issue with the old wooden base ...he says!
One odd thing at the moment, local I cannot find any Milfoil (Myriophyllum spicatum) not in stores or even the local lakes or ponds can I find any. None of the ponds have any, lakes seem to be cleared of all aquatic plant and now filled with Carp for fishing only. Have to admit, many of these lakes I haven't been too for nearly 20 years, so have somewhat changed since my last visit.

I know where I can get hold of some Milfoil but a 30 mile round trip to a garden centre which seems a bit much for some pond weed. I'll have to order some online. :mad:

Click to enlarge

On seeing the barrel pond, there's just a chance Mrs. Puddle might change her mind about having a wildlife pond in the garden after all. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1792 times
Been liked: 4240 times

I've earmaked a nice 6x4ft spot in the garden for a wildlife pond. I might start it once I've fitted new doors, flooring and paint lol
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4260 times
Been liked: 3919 times

fr499y wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 17:33 pm I've earmaked a nice 6x4ft spot in the garden for a wildlife pond. I might start it once I've fitted new doors, flooring and paint lol
So about in two years time. :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1792 times
Been liked: 4240 times

Mate, 2 weeks down and I’m halfway there 😂
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Calla Lilies :)

You won’t find Milfoil for sale, or at least you shouldn’t. It’s illegal now.

Edit… or is it? M. aquaticum and M. heterophyllum are illegal…
Last edited by black ghost on Thu May 12, 2022 19:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2280 times
Been liked: 1946 times

That looks great Martin :) I'm sure you would get some wildlife visit the barrel if you did not want to keep fish, my little pond is only 1x0.5m but still gets plenty of visitors and the birds love to bathe on the shallow water on top of the planted pots, I think if I had a 6x4ft pond I would be unable to resist a few goldfish :)
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
wingnut55
Tank of the Year 2022
Tank of the Year 2022
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 385 times

Looking great Martin, well done.

Ian + Karen.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1419 times
Been liked: 3416 times

Click to enlarge

I like it ::thumbu::
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 50 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)