Paradise fish?

Betta's, Gouramis etc
Moby
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 17 times

On recent visit at my local independent Lfs I saw some stunning dark blue electric blue fish.I was told these were paradise fish.After doing some research it seems these are best kept on their own and are not community fish?.Any further advice would be welcome.
Thks.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Think of them like Siamese Fighters. Not as bad with each other but can be just as bad towards other fish. One male per two-plus females. They need space, and will be aggressive towards similar looking fish, and fish at the top, and often smaller fish. Fast active fish and bottom dwellers are usually not bothered. Space is the key.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Also prefer lower temps as they are temperate fish not tropical ( 10*C - 22*C range )

I’ve kept them before and they were hell in a community temperate tank, in the end it was one paradise fish left and nothing else. Treat them like a betta and you’ll be fine. They are jumpers, bubble nest builders and aren’t a fan of fast flowing water.
Moby
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 17 times

black ghost wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:25 am Think of them like Siamese Fighters. Not as bad with each other but can be just as bad towards other fish. One male per two-plus females. They need space, and will be aggressive towards similar looking fish, and fish at the top, and often smaller fish. Fast active fish and bottom dwellers are usually not bothered. Space is the key.
Could be an excuse for another tank! :D
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

I kept them right near the start of my fishy journey about 50 years ago. Beautiful fish but went into the “never again” category. That was in a community tank though, which isn’t a great environment for an antisocial fish. To enjoy them, keep them on their own as a pair or trio in a decent sized tank with lots of floating plants. About 70 degrees-ish. Some Peppered Cories below them maybe. In a three foot tank you could even have two pairs. Each male will claim a floating plant as it’s territory…
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1419 times
Been liked: 3414 times

Paradise fish are of the family Osphronemidae (Gouramies) and are bubble-nest builders as like other gourami.
Depending on the actual species of Paradise fish some prefer the tank water temperature cool (around 16C) and others are more tropical (24C).
The species you have described is probably Macropodus Opercularis which will grow to between 3 to 4 inches and prefers cool water temperatures between 16C & 26C but best (long-term) towards the lower end, 20/21C is a good compromise.
They also prefer some water hardness (5dGH minimum) and well suited to hard water.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)