Female trouble after mating

Betta's, Gouramis etc
John Arnold
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 22 times

Hi
My male better constantly makes bubbles nest so I got a female, put them together and they flared at each other for a while, she was kinda hiding a bit but he did start another nest so as no damage I left in for couple of days, bit all I saw was him sulking at back of tank and occasionally chasing her, so I took her out, now she is subdued lost colour to body not eating and slightly raised scale, any ideas
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

You can't leave them together, only just while they spawn. He will likely kill her if you leave them together......
John Arnold

plankton wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:13 pm You can't leave them together, only just while they spawn. He will likely kill her if you leave them together......
Hi

I know I just didn’t know how long, I have taken her out, it was a day and a half they were together
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Simply just while they get used to each other and then spawn, then the male will guard everything (even if the eggs aren't in the nest or fertile) against everything including the female.
That's why you have to watch and get her out when they've finished......
John Arnold

plankton wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 14:57 pm Simply just while they get used to each other and then spawn, then the male will guard everything (even if the eggs aren't in the nest or fertile) against everything including the female.
Oh ok thanks man, I wonder why she looks ill as no attack marks just bit bloated and scales a little raised and colour dull
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

John Arnold wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 15:33 pm
plankton wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 14:57 pm Simply just while they get used to each other and then spawn, then the male will guard everything (even if the eggs aren't in the nest or fertile) against everything including the female.
Oh ok thanks man, I wonder why she looks ill as no attack marks just bit bloated and scales a little raised and colour dull
Sounds like dropsy. They’re quite prone to it. Not much you can do if so, although a bacterial treatment works very occasionally if you catch it early enough.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
John Arnold

black ghost wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 16:02 pm
John Arnold wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 15:33 pm
Sounds like dropsy. They’re quite prone to it. Not much you can do if so, although a bacterial treatment works very occasionally if you catch it early enough.

Yeah I thought maybe bit eggbound or something but unfortunately she passed yesterday, not had her long , only couple of weeks so must have come in with it