Platy fry

Food, feeding and diet.
nick1982
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 20 times

Thinking back to our first batch of fry I definitely think the current batch are much more active and seem to be constantly grazing amongst the plants and also picking amongst the substrate.

I feed them first bites and fine ground quality flakes also but the problem here is the big fish get some too in the process.
saiwong
Been liked: 5 times

This morning I tried feeding the Platy fry ground flake food but again they would not eat it.
However, I then I place some dry daphnia food into a plastic bag and crushed it using the back of a spoon.
I then fed the ground daphnia to the fry. They seemed to notice it and saw a few fry picking at it (may or may not have eaten the food).
So this may be a good sign.

I also added more plants into the hatchery so the fry might feed off them.

Yesterday I also started hatching brine shrimp via eggs in jar of brine water. Hopefully the brine shrimp might start appearing later today or tomorrow. Once they are grown I will try feeding them to my Platy fry.
nick1982

Fingers crossed! I’m yet to try baby brine shrimp, I don’t think my wife would be keen 😄
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

I never use bbs. Frozen lobster eggs are the same size, produce even faster growth, and are a helluva lot easier to use. :)
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
nick1982

Never heard of using frozen lobster eggs. Sounds good 👍🏻
saiwong

afternoon feeding of the Platy fry with ground brine shrimp. Fry are still very shy and I need to push the ground brine shrimp next to their mouths for them to start eating ..... but yes I see them eating now. Phew.

As Platy fry are resting at all levels of the hatchery I can only affect the fry that are close to the top, but hopefully after each feeding I can encourage more fry to eat
nick1982

saiwong wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 15:11 pm afternoon feeding of the Platy fry with ground brine shrimp. Fry are still very shy and I need to push the ground brine shrimp next to their mouths for them to start eating ..... but yes I see them eating now. Phew.

As Platy fry are resting at all levels of the hatchery I can only affect the fry that are close to the top, but hopefully after each feeding I can encourage more fry to eat
Hopefully they will pick up asap
saiwong

update ...

most of the Platy fry are now eating the dry daphnia food. Also they are not stationary anymore, but now causiously investigating their surrounding area. Once the Platy fry discover food to eat, I see they now explore further around them to find more food, so this is good news
nick1982

saiwong wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 18:33 pm update ...

most of the Platy fry are now eating the dry daphnia food. Also they are not stationary anymore, but now causiously investigating their surrounding area. Once the Platy fry discover food to eat, I see they now explore further around them to find more food, so this is good news
Great news! I might have to try ours with the dry daphnia.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

nick1982 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 21:55 pm
saiwong wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 18:33 pm update ...

Great news! I might have to try ours with the dry daphnia.
Soak it first to rehydrate it.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.