Platy fry

Food, feeding and diet.
saiwong
Been liked: 5 times

Yesterday my Platy gave birth to about 45 fry !!!

Am I correct that the fry don't need to be fed for the first 2 days (just like guppy fry) ?

My question is that the fry just seem to just stay motionless, is this normal for the first few days ?
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

All livebearer fry start feeding soon after they’re born. It’s not normal for them to stay motionless, no. They’re normally out and about looking for food from birth, but they’ll stay hidden if they need to...
Last edited by black ghost on Thu Aug 25, 2022 18:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
nick1982
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 20 times

My fry are all quite busy darting around most of the time.

Are the fry in the main aquarium or separated?

After separating the first batch of fry I have since just planted my aquarium with lots of hiding places and just leave them in. I think they feed of algae and micro organisms in the plants. I do crush some flakes and also give first bites sometimes but it makes a mess!
saiwong

I have my Platy fry in a hatchery along with Guppy fry that were born a few days earlier.
The Guppy fry are moving around with no issues.

The Platy fry are neither on the bottom of the hatchery or gasping for air at the top. The fry are just evenly spread around the hatchery at all levels.

I am just wondering if the Platy fry are just scared by their initial birth scenario, being in an smaller enclosed space with Mummy Platy that could have eaten them at any time. Maybe the Platy fry are just in "over cautious mode"

However the Platy fry were born just over 24 hours ago, so it is still early days, and I find my Guppy fry don't eat for the first two days anyway as they get nutrients from their yolk sacs. I will see what happens after 2 days and see if they move around more.
black ghost
Posting Legend

If they still have their yolk sac they’re being born prematurely. If the mother is in a breeding trap the stress from that is possibly the cause.
saiwong

I don't see any yolk sac on the Platy fry but just trying to explain why I believe fry don't eat for the first couple of days and just use "internal nutrients" from birth
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5447 times
Been liked: 2668 times

I’ve never known any livebearer fry not eat straight away. They might hang/hover around but generally they will go about looking for food/safe places.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
black ghost
Posting Legend

saiwong wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 20:30 pm I don't see any yolk sac on the Platy fry but just trying to explain why I believe fry don't eat for the first couple of days and just use "internal nutrients" from birth
This does not happen. Under normal circumstances livebearer fry are not born till their yolk sac is fully absorbed. They’re hungry from birth.
Last edited by black ghost on Thu Aug 25, 2022 22:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nick1982
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 20 times

Sounds like they may be premature?

Hope they make it 🤞
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

All livebearers should be born ready to eat, that's the idea for livebearing......