Amano shrimp predator!

mikeyboy123
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 46 times

Hi.

I acquired an Amano shrimp on Saturday and it’s done an amazing job clearing up a breakout of hair algae that grew whilst someone else was looking after my tank for two weeks whilst I was on holiday.

However, I’m pretty sure it just killed one of my chilli rasboras. I suppose it’s possible that the fish in question was a bit under the weather and lethargic or fading away, as I only got a batch of them on Saturday and I always seem to lose one or two in the first week, but I’ve been keeping a very close eye on them and have not noticed any fish skulking around not looking happy. They’ve all been doing really well and active, so I’m really surprised that this has happened. It was a decent sized chilli as well (relatively speaking).

I read up on the Amanos before I bought it and I didn’t see anything about fish being at risk, although now I specifically search for that I am finding some comments that they can be a danger.

Beware!

Anyone else experienced similar?
Last edited by mikeyboy123 on Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5447 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Are you sure its an amano?
Ghost shrimp will attack and kill sleeping fish
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

I don't think an amano could take down a fish. They'll certainly eat a dead fish, but to predate on a fish, very unlikely in my opinion. You got a pic of the shrimp in question?
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

Does it look anything like this?
mikeyboy123

LookoutTrout wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 22:55 pm Does it look anything like this?
No!

I’m away for the bank holiday now. Will take a pic when I get back. I’ve put the shrimp in a different tank whilst I’m away. It’s now sharing a tank with about 100 cherry shrimp so it’ll probably get through some of those over next few days.

I’m 99% sure that the fish it ate was well. I’ve been checking on them every couple of hours during the day this week and I would have noticed if one had died or was skulking around not feeling well. And I only fed the fish a few hours previously and all were alive and well, so whatever kind of shrimp it is it’s taken down a healthy fish I reckon.

I bought it as an Amano from a decent lfs so will be a bit peeved if it turns out to be something else. It is voracious though and very active, and got through the hair algae very rapidly.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

It would be most unusual for an amano to take down a live fish.
Can you post a pic of it?
mikeyboy123

plankton wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:52 am It would be most unusual for an amano to take down a live fish.
Can you post a pic of it?
Will post a pic when back home after bank holiday.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Here’s a possibility...

Newly purchased fish may have experienced shock (clinical term), maybe a severe pH or hardness or temperature change. Shock can show no symptoms at all for days and then one day the fish is dead. According to the Tropical Fishlopaedia they often die at night.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

mikeyboy123 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 16:59 pm Hi.

I acquired an Amano shrimp on Saturday and it’s done an amazing job clearing up a breakout of hair algae that grew whilst someone else was looking after my tank for two weeks whilst I was on holiday.

However, I’m pretty sure it just killed one of my chilli rasboras. I suppose it’s possible that the fish in question was a bit under the weather and lethargic or fading away, as I only got a batch of them on Saturday and I always seem to lose one or two in the first week, but I’ve been keeping a very close eye on them and have not noticed any fish skulking around not looking happy. They’ve all been doing really well and active, so I’m really surprised that this has happened. It was a decent sized chilli as well (relatively speaking).

I read up on the Amanos before I bought it and I didn’t see anything about fish being at risk, although now I specifically search for that I am finding some comments that they can be a danger.

Beware!

Anyone else experienced similar?
Carrion yes, live fish or shrimp no.

I'd suggest @black ghost is on the right track. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
mikeyboy123

Here it is. Any ideas if it’s a bona fide amano?

How energetic are amanos, as my shrimp is like it’s on speed.

The more Ithink about this I’m sure it killed a live and healthy fish. I know that’s not what amanos are supposed to do, but there’s quite a bit of info on amano lookalikes being predatory, so perhaps it’s not an amano.

I put it in another tank the last few days, reluctant to put it back in.