Newby and problem tank water.

Tell us a bit about yourself!
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

The lack of info about water tests is frustrating. Does your test look for nitrite directly, use a proxy or convert it into something else to test?
I gather nitrite is volatile and easy to test directly but that doesn't mean your tests work that way.
I want to measure nitrate regularly but don't want to keep buying small expensive tests, there seems to be a blackout on technical info and alternatives. The colour of my Hygrophila Polysperma is my best alternative so far.
Granite
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time

Hi, please explain your comment regarding Hygrophila Polysperma you've got me intrigued.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Prime apparently ‘neutralises’ or ‘detoxifies’ nitrite. I don’t know what that means chemically but it seems the resulting molecule doesn’t react with the test? or isn’t free nitrite?
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Sasquatch
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 13 times

@Vale! I'm not surprised by your findings. Seachem prime claims of detoxification of nitrites would indeed suggest they are bonded by one of prime's ingredients.

Worryingly that would entail @Granite's tank is severely poisoned with nitrites. Poisoned to the point where standard dose of prime isn't enough to neutralise it.
I'm surprised it didn't cycle yet.
Granite what is your nitrate level? Is it rising yet?
I do wonder if prime is crippling cycling by reacting with nitrites and starving nitrobacteria out.
Granite

Hi Sasquatch,
I've just tested and Nitrate is up to 60
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Granite wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 16:00 pm Hi, please explain your comment regarding Hygrophila Polysperma you've got me intrigued.
It usually grows with green leaves but they can get a red shade to them if the nitrate is low. I find it grows slowly with low nitrate, where there's plenty it will take over a tank quickly.
Odd as I expected the growth rates of all plants to be affected the same when there's little nitrate but the dwarf hygro is the only plant suffering and I almost lost all of it. There could still be another reason that I haven't found yet but the colour thing is referenced in a few places.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Seeing as your nitrates are very high I’d be doing a big water change or two, which will also help with the nitrite problem…
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Sasquatch
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 13 times

I discovered that prime also masks nitrates.
I did weekly hoover up and and tested nitrates to see how much water I should change.
Came back 0, not even a hint of colour.
Tested my tap water, 2.5ppm
Treated my tap water with seachem prime(0.5ml/20l)
Test came back as 0.

Same results with stripe tests of 3 brands(API, LTlabs,aquacare) and LTlabs liquid test.
Granite

Hi Black ghost and other interested parties,

I've just tested for nitrate following yesterday's 60% water change = between 5 and 15. So is looking better. But! can I trust the Pro JBL test kit? What do the Gurus use, or is that a secret? I say that because one poster mentioned finding JBL in his museum.
Granite
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

I use a cheap one from Ukraine, I don't think there's much special about brands. Some brands have a bottle of power with a small spoon and others have the power suspended in liquid. The latter is the one you need to shake furiously so I prefer the spoon method.

If I'm not sure if it's reading properly I'll compare two different sources where I know the other will be higher or lower, then you can see the different readings for reassurance.