cherry shrimp colours

mikeyboy123
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 46 times

I bought what were described as "blue Diamond" shrimp off ebay a while back. The shrimp that arrived were quite a bit darker than I expected, the females are almost black.

I purchased 8 but I think I've only got 5 left now, and I'm pretty sure they are all females. I'd like to get some males to get the colony going and I was just wondering if any old blue cherry shrimp would breed with my existing shrimp without causing reversion to wild type colouration.

In other words, does any blue plus any blue still produce blue, albeit of perhaps varying shades. I'm not too bothered if the shade changes as long as they stay blue. Would actually quite like them a bit lighter to be honest.

Cheers.

Mike.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Any old neocaridina should interbreed
mikeyboy123
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 46 times

fr499y wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 20:05 pm Any old neocaridina should interbreed
Yes, I know they’ll breed but I want to avoid reversion to wild type colouration and was not sure if mixing my blue diamonds with another blue variety would be a wise move.

https://shrimpspotmedia.s3.amazonaws.co ... a3b08a.jpg

I’ve found this chart and it seems to me that mixing blue diamonds with blue dreams should be okay because they’re from the same line, but perhaps mixing with blues from different lines may not work in terms of avoiding eventual reversion to wild type.

Or am I overthinking this and is any blue with any blue okay?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

There is always a small percentage chance that some shrimplets will revert to natural colours, and over time this gets higher unless you remove the weaker coloured shrimp and add new gene lines.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Unalome
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 222 times

I'm running a Cherry Shrimp only tank... Started with 5 adults and all were as red as can be... I've had a total of about 15 shrimplets (some now fully grown) over time and I would say 10 of those were clear with barely any red on them...
54L | Dark Start Tank | Tank log
250L | Rainbow Utopia Tank | Tank log
nick1982
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 20 times

I started with 4 two red female, one red male and one light blue male. The shrimplets were a variety of colours including red, blue, light brown, clear, red and clear.

I'm not that bothered about maintaining single colour but I may at some point give some away just to keep numbers controlled. Some of the original shrimplets have now grown and are berried.

I find I rarely see the larger original females which is a shame as they're the most impressive looking. Nice when they do come out of hiding though.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

They will always return to their wild colours unless you are constantly culling and re-introducing new lines. Its a waste of time for a hobbiest IMO!