Tiger barbs.. Gulp! Advice and comments appreciated

Barbs, Danios, Rasboras, Sharks, Golfish, Koi.
BAINBRIDGE
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 59 times

Hi fishkeepers :swim2:

I appreciate that there are other options out there, but these are the fish I kept returning to look at so I've taken the plunge :woo:

I've spent a month learning what I can and doing prep:

I've rehomed my small community fish and at the moment I just have catfish in my main tank:

1 male BN plec
2 Panda Cory
6 Bronze Cory

I've bought 13 tiger barbs from LFS (MH) which have been in the quarantine tank for 2 weeks so far and they're doing well. The bronze Corys are juveniles and only about half the size of the fully grown pandas, though they're growing quickly.

I've bought more silk plants to put around the perimeter of the tank, leaving a big free swimming area in the middle for the tiger barbs with lots of cover around the edges.

I've added more hidey holes for the Corys.

So that's what I've done so far. The plan is to keep feeding up the little Corys while the tigers are in quarantine, and then in a few weeks time add the tigers to the main tank and hope that they don't pick on the peaceful little corys!

I'm as prepared as I can be:

There's a good (odd) number of tigers, so hopefully their aggression will be dispersed among themselves.

By the time the tigers go in the main tank they will have been together for a good 5-6 weeks, so the pecking order will hopefully be well established.

I'll be adding the tigers to the existing fish in the main tank, so hopefully the tigers will view the catfish part of their new environment rather than imposters.

The tigers will have a big free swimming area, though there's lots of tall plants around the edge that they can explore around too.

There's lots of cover for the Corys.

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Maybe a special prayer or ritual before I put them in the main tank?

Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated ::thumbu::
Juwel Trigon 190:

5 Bronze Cory
1 Panda Cory
1 male BN Plec
9 Tiger barbs

Quarantine tank:

6 Tiger Barbs
5 Golden Wonder Panchax
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

You could be ok, but do make sure food gets to the bottom for the corys and BN. Feeding time is the time there's more likely to be problems. ;)
Just keep your eye on them. :)
I would always look at having loaches with barbs myself...
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

BAINBRIDGE wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:25 am

You must do a naked dance, wearing a silly hat around some Welsh hill sheep in your garden. This has to be done in the pouring rain and there must be video evidence of this ritual posted on this forum. Only then will there be harmony in your aquarium!

P.M. @Gingerlove05 for sheep hire. :]

Seriously, you should be fine with that size group but what size is your aquarium?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
BAINBRIDGE

plankton wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:18 am You could be ok, but do make sure food gets to the bottom for the corys and BN. Feeding time is the time there's more likely to be problems. ;)
Just keep your eye on them. :)
I would always look at having loaches with barbs myself...
Yes it's amazing how quickly the tigers eat every last scrap of food. I might try some flake or daphnia to occupy the tigers and then add some sinking food for the Corys.

I would get loaches but my OH loves Corys so I added to their number (juvenile pandas didn't survive :( ) and I heard somewhere that it's best not to mix loaches with Corys because of their spikes.

When adding the tigers, would it be best to do this after they've had a good feed so they're not hangry?
Juwel Trigon 190:

5 Bronze Cory
1 Panda Cory
1 male BN Plec
9 Tiger barbs

Quarantine tank:

6 Tiger Barbs
5 Golden Wonder Panchax
BAINBRIDGE

Martinspuddle wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:06 am
BAINBRIDGE wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:25 am

You must do a naked dance, wearing a silly hat around some Welsh hill sheep in your garden. This has to be done in the pouring rain and there must be video evidence of this ritual posted on this forum. Only then will there be harmony in your aquarium!

P.M. @Gingerlove05 for sheep hire. :]

Seriously, you should be fine with that size group but what size is your aquarium?
Thanks, I'll do this to appease the aquarium gods :grin:

It's a corner tank so only about 3ft wide, but quite tall. A longer tank would've been ideal, but there's plenty of free swimming space so hopefully they'll be happy.
Juwel Trigon 190:

5 Bronze Cory
1 Panda Cory
1 male BN Plec
9 Tiger barbs

Quarantine tank:

6 Tiger Barbs
5 Golden Wonder Panchax
Martinspuddle

You may have too, larger tank that is.

When I kept Puntigrus tetrazona I found the males get to 2.5" inches and the females can get to nearly three inches in length.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

It was probably me that said about the loaches not being kept with corys.
I did it once, never again - all accidental problems at feeding time.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:13 am You may have too, larger tank that is.

When I kept Puntigrus tetrazona I found the males get to 2.5" inches and the females can get to nearly three inches in length.
Were these wild caught or do you mean the domestic hybrids?
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Martinspuddle

black ghost wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:06 pm
Martinspuddle wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:13 am You may have too, larger tank that is.

Domestically bred wild type. Don't believe all you read about fish adult sizes, 2" inches for an adult Tiger Barb I found to be wrong.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 18:01 pm
black ghost wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:06 pm

Domestically bred wild type. Don't believe all you read about fish adult sizes, 2" inches for an adult Tiger Barb I found to be wrong.
I don’t, but there aren’t any “domestically bred wild types”. All domestic tiger barbs are hybrids. P. tetrazona is not in the hobby. :)
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.