Live/Frozen Food Advice?

Food, feeding and diet.
Bryan_D
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 135 times

I’d like to improve the diet of the fish in my CT and try some live or frozen options.
I’ve heard they can be very beneficial so I thought I’d ask her for some advice as I’ve never tried any before.
My CT will soon have a Rainbowfish majority, so it’s primarily for them I’m thinking of.
At the moment I’m using Fluval bug bites colour enhancing flakes and the bug bite tropical pellets but wound like to provide a more varied diet.
I don’t know my bloodworm from my brine shrimp from my Daphnia!
Freeze-dried, live or frozen?
Any suggestions or advice?
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

I don't like flake foods.

To feed my fish I take 150ml of water from a tank into my gamma feeding bottle. 1 cube of bloodworm and a cube of lobster eggs, some oase organic colour granules, NT labs catfish pellets then 0.75ml of seachem nourish and 0.75ml seachem garlic guard.

Leave it on the bench for 15-20 mins to defrost then feed my 2 tanks from the one bottle.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5069 times
Been liked: 3427 times

Freeze dried need a good 20 min soak before feeding or they can remove water from the fishes' digestive systems and cause problems, so I avoid them.
I also avoid flake and use granules/pellets. I've had fewer problems since I changed.
I have trouble sourcing live food locally, so use frozen - defrost as above (but I only use the food as I use garlic every 3-6 months depending on what's going on).
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
John Linklater
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 90 times

can you does garlic (in liquid form like Seachem Garlic Guard) directly to water or better to mix with food? Was reading a bit about the benefits of garlic last week and wasn't too clear.
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2280 times
Been liked: 1946 times

I like frozen, find live food far too expensive unless you can bulk buy, for Rainbows you might be best with floating foods like mosquito larvae and brine shrimp, Daphnia is good, but you might find it's a little small they will still eat it but not before a good amount gets sucked into the filter, bloodworm can cause bloating issues with certain fish but I think Rainbows would be ok, Tubifex is good but sinks so better for bottom feeders, live tubifex clumps together so that's not ideal some fish may miss out, some frozen food comes pre - soaked in garlic I don't know if that's a good thing it's probably better to soak your own.

I also like Fluval bug bites for bottom feeders, it's a slow sinking granule all fish love it, and for the Cory - Hikari sinking wafers, I try not to use flake but it's handy for new and very small fish.
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
Andys temperate tank

John Linklater wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:30 am can you does garlic (in liquid form like Seachem Garlic Guard) directly to water or better to mix with food? Was reading a bit about the benefits of garlic last week and wasn't too clear.
This is what I mix the fish food up in John. I feed my fish 2 days on one off now.

https://www.horizonaquatics.co.uk/colle ... 0870706233
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
John Linklater
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 90 times

Andys temperate tank wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 20:00 pm
John Linklater wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:30 am can you does garlic (in liquid form like Seachem Garlic Guard) directly to water or better to mix with food? Was reading a bit about the benefits of garlic last week and wasn't too clear.
This is what I mix the fish food up in John. I feed my fish 2 days on one off now.

Thanks Andy. I use frozen food once a week that has garlic and aloe Vera added and the fish are noticeably in ore of a rush to eat it. Mixing garlic with pellets and giving them a healthy additive more often makes sense to me.
Andys temperate tank

John Linklater wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 20:14 pm
Andys temperate tank wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 20:00 pm

Thanks Andy. I use frozen food once a week that has garlic and aloe Vera added and the fish are noticeably in ore of a rush to eat it. Mixing garlic with pellets and giving them a healthy additive more often makes sense to me.
I had a pair of angels spawning every 17-21 days last year when I was feeding that mix daily. The more frozen over dry the better for me.
Bryan_D
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 135 times

Thanks very much for all the feedback.
It seems that frozen food and pellets seem to be the way forward. I’ll switch to pellets rather than flakes from now on.
I’ll watch a few vids on YouTube on how to prep and feed using a gamma bottle as recommended.
I’ll experiment with some brine shrimp and mosquito larvae to start off with.
How often should you feed frozen food per week?
Are there any recommended brands? I hear Hikari and gamma are good?
I also have mollies, black phantom tetras, neon tetras, swords and rummy nose tetras in the tank.
Would any of these foods affect them negatively, or would they likely tuck in as well?
I’m completely new to the frozen food diets!
Andys temperate tank

I'm feed my fish frozen 4-5 times a week. That's every feed for fish.

All of your fish will benefit from more frozen food.